Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton make a bid for keeper Andrew Lonergan

+3
Hipster_Nebula
Reebok Trotter
JakeSnake
7 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

JakeSnake

David Lee
David Lee

Earlier in the transfer window several first team players left the club including goalkeeping great Jussi Jaaskelainen who had made over 500 appearances for the club since 1999 signing from VPS. Although Adam Bogdan has finally shone and we have two other young keepers in Jay Lynch and Rob Lainton, Owen Colyle thought that we still needed a replacement.

Coyle had said 'we need experienced competition for Adam and hopefully it will improve him even more' and made getting a new goalkeeper a top priority. We had had various links with ex-Dundee United keeper Dusan Pernis and Leeds goalkeeper Andrew Lonergan.

It looks like Lonergan may be the next player to put pen to paper to help Bolton regain promotion to the Premierleague. Coyle had admired Lonergan when he was at Preston North End before his move to Leeds. At Preston he made 305 league appearances and scored a goal tongue then in his one year at Leeds he made 35 league appearances but now Leeds are on the verge of signing QPR keeper Paddy Kenny making Lonergan not a regular in goal. Prompting Coyle to make a move for the 28 year old

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Very odd is this one. Coyle has obviously nailed his colours to the mast with Bogdan and I have heard that Lainton shows a lot of promise as well.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Clearly Coyle doesn't think he's ready to step up which is a shame.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I don't see what's strange about wanting an experienced goalkeeper at the club.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Nothing at all, in fact it's wise, i suspect people were just curious about Lainton and whether he'd be the man to back up Bodgan this season.

might still be the case but I'd be surprised if Lonergan would want to be 3rd choice but we shall see.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If we were that deeperate for a decent keeper why did we sell Al Habsi ?

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

What makes you think we are desperate? Clubs tend to have two senior goalkeepers in case one gets injured, ill, suspended, needs to be rested or loses form.

I made a rule on JA606 not to get into discussions about Al Habsi any more. He's not been at our club for two years now and I think it's time to move on.

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Not impressed with Lonergan at all, in fact dont rate Bogdon either.
Shame we have gone from a strong GK position TO IMO a weak one.
Just dont trust coyle at all.

Al Habsi's sale was with a short term view let's face it. Coyle desperately needed funds to strengthen other positions so he sold, I don't particularly blame him for that, although he may now regret spending that money on N'gog.

I like Bogdan, although I doubt he'll ever reach Jussi's level, he looks okay so far. Considering how much pressure his goal was under at all times last season I think it's a little unfair to judge him already, plus he hasn't developed fully yet. With a real defence in front of him, and the chance to gain a few clean sheets hopefully Bogdan will prosper in the championship and Lonergan will be a capable understudy.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I rate Bogdan, but i think he's got a lot of growing to do, which you would expect.

He's got a terrific upside and he's a no fear kind of guy, he'll come for crosses better than Jussi ever did IMO and even if he makes mistakes he'll still come for the next one.

Not unhappy with him at all.

JakeSnake

David Lee
David Lee

Bogdan is a real talent and coming in for Jussi last year must have come as a surprise but he shone only problem is I didn't see many catches from him, he tends to dive for virtually everything but is a great prospect and I think he can excell at the club

Also Lonergan bid was rejected but there may be another one soon...

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

I like Bogdan but I am still very wary of him coming from crosses and saving close range free kicks, got beat too easy on them on a few occassions last season.

Which is a worry as you can guarantee it's going to be a more physical demand on the young man next season in the championship.

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

I expect Bogdan will be a better goalkeeper this year than he was last year, though - the standard of strikers he will have to contend with will be dramatically different as well.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum