Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Parkinson challenges team to make a fresh start

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Last season’s relegation will be the last thing on Wanderers’ mind if Phil Parkinson has anything to do with it.

As the Whites prepare to kick off the new campaign against Sheffield United on Saturday, the new boss has challenged his squad to forget all about the woes of the last 12 months.

Troubles mounted up on and off the pitch in the second half of last season, resulting in one of the worst points hauls in the club’s history.

But Parkinson has pressed the reset button over the summer and feels his players are ready to answer some of their critics.

“What happened, happened, no one can erase that from the records,” he told The Bolton News. “But from the first day I came in I said to the players they have a clean slate. They can’t dwell on it.

“There is a collective desire to put things right again, to rebuild some of those damaged reputations as individuals. As a club we have to do the same.

“No-one wants to be associated with failure but football moves on and we do have a chance this season to start moving back towards where we want to be.”

Picking a team to face Sheffield United will, in the manager’s estimation, be difficult as his squad remains a work in progress.

“We have a shape we have worked on with the players who are definitely in the building and we’re fairly happy with that,” he said. “Whether it’s the one we go with longer-term, I don’t know, it depends on whether we bring other players in.

“I am happy with the way pre-season has gone. The players have had a great attitude and the new signings have integrated well.

“We do want to strengthen in certain areas we feel are not strong enough but the response I have had from the existing players has been good.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum