Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Charlton 1-1 BWFC - Match Report Post #39

+10
Keegan
Jack Russell
karlypants
Norpig
whatsgoingon
Reebok Trotter
wessy
Bwfc1958
bryan458
wanderlust
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I reckon this will be Parky's toughest test to date. Charlton have been wheeling and dealing since they were relegated last season with some of their better performers leaving (Burnley signed Pope and Gudmundssen and Vetokele and Cousins have also left) but they've brought in a load including goalie Rudd on loan from Norwich, Magennis who played for N Ireland in the Euros, Pearce from Wigan and Tony Watt the striker. 
They lost the first game of the season but have improved, drawing the next and then two wins on the bounce.
I'm hoping that we have finally got rid of the away hoodoo and can put on a good away performance, but despite winning four in a row I don't think we've been completely convincing or dominant so I reckon we'll scrape a draw.

bryan458

bryan458
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

A Win keep the momentum going bounce

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

I'll be happy with a draw. Like Lusty said, we've not been entirely convincing but we are clearly more resilient so if we can stay reasonably solid at the back there's every chance we can nick one at the other end and hold on for dear life and maybe take the 3 points. If we do end up winning it will probably be a smash and grab but who cares. I'd rather play shit and get 3 points than be saying how great we were and come away with nothing. This is a week where getting beat by Blackpool could have it's advantages.

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

At one time the Valley used to be a very happy hunting ground, less so just recently but i do believe that some grounds are lucky. By the same token i never expect too win at Fulham.

However at this point a point keeps the momentum going.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm going for a 1-1 draw but I'll happily take an away win.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bwfc1958 wrote:I'd rather play shit and get 3 points than be saying how great we were and come away with nothing. 
I honestly can't remember the last time we dominated a game, played brilliantly and lost.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

wanderlust wrote:
Bwfc1958 wrote:I'd rather play shit and get 3 points than be saying how great we were and come away with nothing. 
I honestly can't remember the last time we dominated a game, played brilliantly and lost.
There were a few occasions last season where we played well and failed to kill off the game and ending up losing. Burnley and Middlesborough spring to mind.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

whatsgoingon wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
There were a few occasions last season where we played well and failed to kill off the game and ending up losing. Burnley and Middlesborough spring to mind.
You think? We had the lead in both games for sure. Maybe my memory isn't what it was but as I recall, Boro totally dominated us and could have scored a load in the first half hitting the woodwork a couple of times but we made it to half time at 0 - 0, then after Vela scored they battered us some more before Rhodes got a couple, hitting the post between the goals. Burnley was a good effort although it was dour and the difference was another quality striker Andre Gray, so I don't remember us "dominating the game and playing brilliantly" in either game although I am happy to take your word for it as my info is based on what I heard in commentary and saw on telly/net alongside what my mate told me.
Maybe if we had a quality striker like Gray or Rhodes life would be a lot easier.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

we did play well in both those games last season but as Lusty says we didn't have a decent striker. Gray was the big difference for Burnley last season in that game and Rhodes did well for Boro if i remember correctly

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ref watch: Dean Whitestone to oversee Charlton clash

Dean Whitestone will take charge of Wanderers’ trip to Charlton Athletic on Saturday.

The Northamptonshire-based referee has overseen three Whites matches in the past, the most recent being last season's 0-0 draw with Preston North End at Deepdale.

A Football League regular having run the rule over his first professional fixture in October 2005, Mr Whitestone has controlled five games so far this season, dishing out 14 yellow cards along the way.

Steven Plane and Craig Taylor will run the line, while Dean Treleaven is the fourth official.

Last Season (2015/16): Games 39 | Yellows 119 | Reds 2

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Jack Russell

Jack Russell
David Lee
David Lee

2 - 1 away win Smile

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Preview: Five talking points ahead of Charlton Athletic v Bolton Wanderers

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Maintaining their lead at the top of Sky Bet League One courtesy of victory over Fleetwood Town, Wanderers travel to Charlton Athletic looking to build on their positive start to the campaign.

1. Tough opponent
Having faced newly-promoted AFC Wimbledon and Bristol Rovers in their previous two away outings, Saturday's opponents Charlton Athletic offer an entirely new threat to Wanderers this weekend.

Heading to the Valley looking to maintain their 100% start to the campaign, the Whites face a side that have looked to strengthen this summer following their own relegation from the Sky Bet Championship.

And after standout signing Nicky Ajose got off the mark in Charlton's last game against Walsall, Bolton know that a stern test awaits them this weekend.

2. Phil Parkinson against his former club
Adding an extra element to proceedings this weekend, Trotters boss Phil Parkinson will be facing his former side for the first time since departing the Valley in January 2011.

Initially serving as Alan Pardew's assistant manager at Charlton, Parkinson replaced him as caretaker manager in November 2008.

Handed the job permanently the following month, he spent just over two seasons in the Valley hotseat, and will no doubt enjoy the possibility of building on Wanderers' positive start to the season against his former employers.

3. Can Josh Vela continue his scoring run?
On the scoresheet in both of the Whites' last two outings against Bristol Rovers and Fleetwood Town, Josh Vela will be looking to extend his purple patch in front of goal this weekend.

The midfielder also holds good memories from previous trips to the Valley having scored his first ever senior goal at the ground in last season's 2-2 draw between the two sides.

Will he be able to make it three goals from three?

4. Back in the capital
After not picking up a victory from their travels last season, Bolton recorded maximum points from their last visit to the capital as their away day blues came to an end at the first time of asking at AFC Wimbledon.

Since then the Trotters have also won at Bristol Rovers, and will be eager to triumph on the road once more as they return to London for Saturday's meeting at Charlton.

5. It’s a Saturday and a bank holiday weekend!
Wanderers' last two visits to the Valley have both fallen on winter Tuesday nights, leaving fans and media alike breathing a huge sigh of relief when the fixtures computer proved a little kinder to the meeting this time around.

Falling over August bank holiday weekend, fans travelling by road are advised to leave early to avoid traffic with warm summer weather expected in the capital - a welcome change from recent years!

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Scouting report: Charlton Athletic

Ahead of Wanderers' trip to Charlton Athletic this bank holiday weekend, bwfc.co.uk take a closer look at Russell Slade's side...

SEASON SO FAR…
After suffering relegation from the Sky Bet Championship last season, Charlton Athletic have had a busy summer as they look to the English second tier at the first time of asking.

Appointing former Cardiff City manager Russell Slade as their new boss back in June, the Addicks have brought in Nicky Ajose, Andrew Crofts, Kevin Foley, Ricky Holmes, Josh Magennis, Lee Novak and Jason Pearce, as well as Jordan Botaka and Declan Rudd on season-long loan deals.

Having opened their campaign with a 2-0 defeat at Bury, Charlton also suffered a premature exit from the EFL Cup after they were knocked out by Sky Bet League Two side Cheltenham Town.

However, after drawing with Northampton Town, the Addicks have recorded back-to-back wins heading into Saturday's clash at The Valley, with Holmes and Ajose both registering braces for their new club along the way.

Currently sitting fifth in the table, Charlton will keen to end Wanderers' 100% start to the season as they look to extend their own unbeaten run.

RECENT FORM
• D 1-1 - RKC Waalwijk H - (Pre-Season Friendly, 30/7/16)
• L 2-0 - Bury A - (Sky Bet League One, 6/8/16)
• L 1-0 - Cheltenham Town A - (EFL Cup, 9/8/16)
• D 1-1 - Northampton Town H - (Sky Bet League One, 13/8/16)
• W 3-0 - Shrewsbury Town H - (Sky Bet League One, 16/8/16)
• W 1-2 - Walsall A - (Sky Bet League One, 20/8/16)

THE MANAGER: RUSSELL SLADE
Replacing Jose Riga as Charlton Athletic manager in June, Russell Slade has been tasked with leading the Addicks' promotion charge as they look to ensure their stint in Sky Bet League One is a brief one.

Embarking on his first steps into management with Notts County as caretaker boss in the mid-nineties, he spent time with non-league sides Armitage and Leicester United before enjoying two stints as Sheffield United's caretaker manager.

Following stints with Scarborough, Grimsby Town, Yeovil Town and Brighton & Hove Albion, he joined Leyton Orient in April 2010 before replacing Ole Gunnar Solskjaer at Cardiff City in October 2014.

Later named the Bluebirds' head of football back in May, Slade left the post the following month to take over at Charlton Athletic and recorded his first victory as Addicks manager in their last home outing against Shrewsbury Town.

KEY PLAYER: NICKY AJOSE
A summer signing from Swindon Town, Nicky Ajose joined Charlton Athletic in an £800k deal after scoring an impressive 25 goals during his solitary season with the Robins.

Coming through the ranks at Manchester United, the forward enjoyed a prolific loan stint with Bury before signing for Peterborough United in July 2011.

Further loan spells with Scunthorpe United, Chesterfield, Crawley Town, Bury and Swindon Town followed before the former England youth international  joined Leeds United permanently in August 2014.

Signing for Swindon Town last September after spending time on loan at Crewe Alexandra, Ajose opened his Charlton account in the Addicks' last outing, firing home a brace in their 2-1 victory over Walsall. 

LAST CHARLTON ATHLETIC XI (v Walsall, W1-2)
Rudd, Foley, Pearce, Solly, Fox, Jackson (Lookman 58), Crofts, Holmes (Holmes-Dennis 80), Konsa Ngoyo, Magennis, Ajose (Bauer 84).

LAST TIME WE MET
Finding themselves 2-0 down early on in their last visit to The Valley, goals from Emile Heskey and Josh Vela's first ever senior goal saw Wanderers come from behind to earn a 2-2 draw last December.

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Looking at the Charlton Forums they think this is a real test, so lets hope we turn up.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

wessy wrote:Looking at the Charlton Forums they think this is a real test, so lets hope we turn up.
I get the impression that under Parkinson not turning up isn't an option. We may not perform fluently or dominate games but our perfect start is down to effort and character which he seems to have instilled.
Add that to confidence gained from 4 wins, importantly including 2 away wins and I'm confident we'll compete so it's down to whether we can provide the quality needed.

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

I've just had a little look and you are right. A great many of them are fully expecting us to turn them over and the rest of them think they could nick a draw. They are just looking at the table and seeing the fact we have won all four games and are assuming we are on top form, which of course we aren't. Reading the majority of Charlton fans views, they make Bolton fans sound wildly optimistic. We've got nothing on these lot.

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Jack Russell wrote:2 - 1 away win Smile

Wot 'e said. sunny

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Looks like we're in danger of developing a settled starting XI.

What price Mavies picking up his customary "3 to 5 monther" today?

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

from what i've heard and read he's been fairly anonmymous so far this season anyway

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum