Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Wanderers forced to act fast in keeper search

+6
Bread2.0
Norpig
Fabians Right Peg
Sluffy
wanderlust
karlypants
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderers have been launched into a frantic keeper hunt after Cardiff City opened talks about a season-long loan move for Ben Amos.

Phil Parkinson could go into tomorrow’s League One clash at Charlton Athletic with only one senior keeper, as all indications pointed towards Amos signing his deal with the Bluebirds later today.

Speaking at the training ground yesterday, the Whites boss admitted the timing of the deal meant a replacement would have to be sourced in a hurry.

“Ben is speaking with another club,” he said. “It’s come a bit late in the day and it means we’ll have to work hard to get another goalkeeper in but because he hasn’t been in the team at the start of the season and the saving we can make on his wages, we are hopeful we can use that in other areas.”

Parkinson’s chances of bringing in new signings would be boosted if he could move on one of the squad’s biggest earners. He is, however, hamstrung by the terms of the club’s embargo which limits the club to a certain number of players – believed to be 23 – registered as professionals with the Football League.

Speculation over the future of players such as Jay Spearing, Zach Clough, Josh Vela and Kaiyne Woolery has also continued but Parkinson is confident he will be able to hold together the squad which has made a perfect start to the League One season.

“We’re still working towards strengthening one or two areas of the team and, maybe more importantly, we want to keep the squad together. We feel that’s key,” he said.

“It’s been well documented there has been interest in some of the players because of the start we’ve had but we want to strengthen rather than weaken.”

Jamie Proctor could come back into contention for Wanderers after being rested last weekend with a sore hamstring.

Clough will be sidelined short-term with a similar problem, while fellow striker Max Clayton will have an exploratory operation to get to the root of his knee problems.

“We have had a little bit of bad luck at this early stage of the season with injuries,” Parkinson said. “But we have got to come through that and wait for those players to come back.”

Source

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Am I right in thinking that if we are limited to say 23 registered players, sending a player out on loan won't create a space as they are still registered with us - and therefore count as one of the 23?

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:Am I right in thinking that if we are limited to say 23 registered players, sending a player out on loan won't create a space as they are still registered with us - and therefore count as one of the 23?

Well if that is the case the reverse would also be true then.

We could bring a player in on loan who wouldn't be registered to us.

So obviously yes it would create a space, we could bring a loan player in!

Rolling Eyes

Fabians Right Peg

Fabians Right Peg
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

The thing is if we bring another keeper in as cover the only benefit to the club is a net saving in wages, a reserve keeper is not going to improve the first team squad and is unlikely to be used unless Howard gets injured. So the question is do you gamble with one of the younger keepers at the club in which case we could use the spare squad place to improve the team, or do you play safe and get experienced cover?

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i would say we need some kind of experienced cover, Jaaskelainen jr may be good long term option but not in the short term

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Has anyone seen Jaaskelainen play? The only time I've seen him is on video and they tend to be game highlights so most of the time he is on film is when he's picking the ball out of the back of the net.

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Why are we getting hung up over how good / bad our spare goalie is?

Anybody can play in goal, that's why fat kids do it.

Chill out.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Speaking of keepers,I never tire of this.

Fabians Right Peg

Fabians Right Peg
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

wanderlust wrote:Has anyone seen Jaaskelainen play? The only time I've seen him is on video and they tend to be game highlights so most of the time he is on film is when he's picking the ball out of the back of the net.

Seen him a couple of times in reserves, looks a decent keeper, surely we need to blood him at some point so backup position should be his especially given restrictions on squad.

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Bread2.0 wrote:Why are we getting hung up over how good / bad our spare goalie is?

Anybody can play in goal, that's why fat kids do it.

Chill out.
I'll remind you of that when Howard is out for 3 months with a broken fingernail and we end up signing Rob Earnshaw as an emergency stand in goalkeeper.

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

We'll be fine.......

Come on, be honest now.....

When you were a kid playing football in the park during the 6 week holidays and a girl turned up and started mithering, where did you make her play?

Yeah....that's right - In goal.

It's easy.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I may have mentioned this before,but the keeper in my old works team used to smoke a pipe,during the match.
He knocked it out on the post at half time and left it with his gloves behind the net.
He'd light up again as the second half started,and puff away until full time.
He'd put it on the ground in times of danger of course,but I'd have loved to see him reviewed on Sky.

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

With just one week of the window left. we let Amos go, PP keeps saying he wants to strengthen so the only logical conclusion is that this is a tactic to free space and cash and that PP will strengthen his hand.
However if Young Will is the answer, then that is a real gamble he's not ready, unless of course we signed his dad for a pay as you play if of course we are allowed too. Just can't see why we would take this risk unless PP & co know a lot more than we do, ie they aren't guessing.

Your right Bread they always put the fat kid in goal piece of piss ?

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

wanderlust wrote:Am I right in thinking that if we are limited to say 23 registered players, sending a player out on loan won't create a space as they are still registered with us - and therefore count as one of the 23?
My guess is we hold the registration overall but they hold it for this season, and the figures are based on the season.

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

Could Amos do this? Could anyone else other than Neuer do this? 

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

It's blocked mate.

That means I've got to open another tab to watch it and I am a lazy man so that's not good.

Poor...

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bread2.0 wrote:It's blocked mate.

That means I've got to open another tab to watch it and I am a lazy man so that's not good.

Poor...
Get over to my thread then,and take a tissue. And no,not for that.

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

boltonbonce wrote:

Poor...
Very Happy

Works fine for me. You've not let Boncey near your computer have you bread? I thought he was the only one with the video problems round here.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bwfc1958 wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:

Poor...
Very Happy

Works fine for me. You've not let Boncey near your computer have you bread? I thought he was the only one with the video problems round here.
Working fine now. Got a glut of Brucie stuff I'm saving for Christmas. Happy Days.

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

boltonbonce wrote:
Bwfc1958 wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:

Poor...
Very Happy

Working fine now. Got a glut of Brucie stuff I'm saving for Christmas. Happy Days.
Brilliant. I was already looking forward to Christmas but this is the cherry on the icing. I'll be sitting around the computer with my family eagerly awaiting your posts.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum