Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Migrant Child Brides

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Migrant Child Brides Empty Migrant Child Brides Fri Sep 30 2016, 23:25

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

No doubt I will be accused of being Islamophobic for posting this BBC news item but I do think it raises important points about how just how acceptable or unacceptable some practices are. Do you think it is OK for 14 year old girls to be married off to older men?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37518289

2Migrant Child Brides Empty Re: Migrant Child Brides Fri Sep 30 2016, 23:40

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

It's clearly wrong and I'm not going to label you Islamophobic for posting that link.

Did you see that programme on the Beeb a few weeks back featuring Nadia who won Bake Off going back to her family's village in Bangladesh?

She attended a wedding and explained how the fact that it is mandated tradition that the bride in the arranged marriage has to look miserable and isn't allowed to smile for the entirety of the day's "celebrations" troubled her deeply.

She even went as far as saying that she wouldn't impose such conditions on her own daughters - quite a statement for a woman who clearly observes the statutes of her religion, given her constant covering of her head in the presence of men.

It's clearly a "tradition" which was started by (older) men who ruled the roost and decided to cover up the fact that the vast majority of the brides getting married weren't too chuffed about being told that they were being forced into marrying a bloke who would use them as little more than a baby machine who would cook and clean for them.

And that bothered me.

But let's just hope that there are more forward thinking Nadias out there who are able to strike a balance between observing the tenets of their religion in order to feel comfortable in their own skin and sleep at night and blindly following what they're told by older men who clearly have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo.

Islam isn't evil - But certain people can be if it benefits them personally.

And that's what we've got to try and fight against.

3Migrant Child Brides Empty Re: Migrant Child Brides Fri Sep 30 2016, 23:56

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Didn't see the programme Bread but 100% agree with your sentiments.

The problem with multiculturalism is that it regards every cultural practice as equally valid. Personally I think that it is permissable to say that some practices are unacceptable even if they are the norm in some societies, to take two examples stoning adulterers to death and genital mutilation of children. I do understand that this is a slipperly slope but believe that generally western societies have progressed in ways that some others haven't (we no longer burn witches or heretics at the stake) and I find the attitude of fundamentalist Muslims deeply disturbing - not least because of the way they distort the Koran to suit their own often misogynist purposes.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum