Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wanderers on best run for 40 years but Steve Parkin warns: "We're a long way off yet!"

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

As Wanderers surpassed their points total for the WHOLE of last season with victory over Port Vale, assistant boss Steve Parkin warned: “There’s a long way to go!”

Jubilation filled the air on Saturday evening at the Macron as Zach Clough, Josh Vela and Lawrie Wilson secured a sixth successive win for the Whites, cementing second place in the table heading into the FA Cup break.

The club is in the midst of their best run of form for 40 years and the assistant boss traces improvement in October back to the training ground.

But as he patted his players on the back following the 3-1 victory, Parkin also provided a reminder of the task ahead.

“We’re delighted with the lads and I have to say, it all reflects how things have been going over the week in training – the levels have been very, very good,” he told The Bolton News.

“We know there is expectation. We had it at Bradford, so there is no change there.

“I think this group has bonded. The only way they can be successful is to be more about the team than individuals. And they know we’re not even at Christmas yet, we’re a long way off being finished.

“I think the fans are right behind us – I mean, the away support at Bury the other night was truly fantastic.

“Whatever happened in the past is behind this team now. The lads had to be professional enough to know it was a completely different season. They have thrown themselves into training and the key thing now is that we prepare for every game differently, depending on the opposition, but with the same high intensity.”

The one sour note on the afternoon was a groin strain picked up by skipper Jay Spearing in the warm-up, which will be monitored this week.

“It was a shame he picked up the injury in the warm-up, it upset us,” Parkin said. “but Liam Trotter came in and was outstanding.”

Sammy Ameobi also provided some moments of magic, with Parkin feeling the Newcastle United loanee is now feeling fit and confident again.

“The lad’s a talent, no doubt about it,” he said. “He needed a run in the team and we’ve given that to him. His touch is superb."

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum