Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton are in with a shout, says Derik Osede

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Quiet man Derik Osede is not shy about articulating his ambition for Wanderers this season.

The Spanish defender has developed an impressive grip on the local lingo since making the switch from Real Madrid’s youth system two summers ago, and stuck with the club after relegation.

He has since become a favourite with the fans and overcame a series of niggling injuries at the start of the season to play a part in the club’s impressive recent run of form.

Wanderers have not been top of ANY league on Christmas day for 39 years.

Even Colin Todd’s record-breaking 1996/97 Division One record-breakers dipped momentarily to second after a 2-2 draw at Swindon, meaning the last side to achieve the festive feat was Ian Greaves’s promotion winners in 1977.

Wings were Christmas number one that year – and Derik has high hopes that the Whites can stick around the top spot for the rest of the campaign.

“I think everybody at the start of pre-season had high expectations for the season – the sky is the limit for us and I believe we can do it,” he said. “We need to keep working hard, though, and maintain the level of performance we have shown so far.”

Unlike the winter break in his native Spain, Derik will be playing through the Christmas period, with festive fixtures against Chesterfield, Shrewsbury and Coventry City. But the 23-year-old is quite comfortable in his new surroundings now, and is becoming quite fluent with the mother tongue.

“I have never been a big talker – I am quite quiet – but I am learning English separately from the club,” he said. “I am learning every day by watching TV and teaching myself, so I hope that my English will be even better.

“I am pushing myself to learn as much as I can because I like to express myself – it feels weird when I am not talking because I don’t know the words.

“I can always express myself through the football on the pitch but I want to develop my language too as it is very important for the team also – it will make everything much easier.”

Derik – who will battle Tom Thorpe for a starting spot at the Proact Stadium – is looking forward to a 2,000-plus travelling army of Wanderers fans making their first trip to the new Spireites HQ.

“I feel that I have a good connection with the supporters – they have been superb with us as a team since the start of the season and even last year when things were tough, they were excellent,” he told the club.

“I like to think that the fans know me well by now and they know that I will give everything I have for Bolton Wanderers.

“Even when it was a difficult situation they were there to support us and we thank them for that.

“This season, also, they have supported us in very big numbers, especially at away games. Even when we are warming up we can feel they are encouraging us.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum