Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Clayton aims for maximum impact as Wanderers comeback gets serious

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Max Clayton knows his comeback speech has been aired one too many times but this young striker is not looking for sympathy.

It was easy to get caught up in the romance of his late equaliser at the Rioch Arena on Monday evening, scored in front of a packed-out away end in the 91st minute of a game that looked destined to end in defeat.

Clayton had spent more than a year out of league action and had just a brief cameo on a rain-sodden pitch at Cheltenham to show for his graft thus far.

But as he faced up to a line of familiar questions from the press at pitch-side in the East Midlands, there was something different about the 22-year-old’s demeanour this time around.

Phil Parkinson had commented that Clayton felt like a new signing at this time of the year, and one whose presence in the Wanderers front line could make a significant difference in the promotion run-in.

“I’ve been ‘like a new signing’ about five times now,” quipped the youngster, well aware that he has been in this precise position before.

Though a rupture cruciate, a freak hamstring tear and a mystery knee issue in the summer, Clayton’s 27 months as a Wanderers player have felt a bit like Groundhog Day.

Like Stuart Holden before him, Clayton’s natural likeability makes you root for him to conquer his injury demons. And with just six months remaining on his contract at the Macron, he is wandering into a situation that the American midfielder – now retired – knows only too well.

But the former Crewe star, Dougie Freedman’s last signing in what now seems an eternity ago, had a deadly serious tone in his voice when speaking about his latest return.

“It would be easy to say ‘I just want to stay fit’ but I want more – I want to make an impact. I want to score goals, and do well for the club,” he said.

“You can’t put too much pressure on yourself and I am wary of letting myself down but I feel like I am in a good place again. The staff have really looked after me.

“It has been a long old year. Parky and the gaffer have taken me under their wing, guided me through it. I knew that when I got to this stage again I’d take my chance.”

Clayton’s last goal for Wanderers was scored in November 2014 against Wigan Athletic, a time when Neil Lennon’s stock was at its very highest point.

Only Josh Vela started that 3-1 victory over the Latics just over two years ago and Monday’s 2-2 draw at Coventry, and only five of the 17 players in the matchday squad are still on the club’s books.

The landscape has changed significantly but having watched from the side-lines as Wanderers dropped out of the Championship, then witnessed the team reborn this season under new manager Parkinson, Clayton knows which situation he would rather be walking into.

“It’s definitely worse seeing them lose,” he said. “Obviously, you are desperate to be a part of it but I support Bolton now so I only want to see them win, even if I am not involved. I want us to be up there.

“I believe in my ability and I know that when I am fit I’ll be in and around it.

“It’s better coming into a team that’s winning games and looking confident like this one.

“It’s different to how it was under Neil Lennon but looked after me as well, I can’t fault Neil Lennon.

“He played me when I was fit and I’ve always felt I’d get the chance under this gaffer too.

“You have got to be really fit to get into this team. There is a lot of running going on, a lot of heart out on that pitch, and that’s probably the biggest difference this season.

“Neil Lennon wanted it, but it wasn’t always there. It is there in abundance this year.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum