Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Parkinson wants a final push from Wanderers

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Phil Parkinson is demanding more from Wanderers after they let another two points slip through their grasp against AFC Wimbledon.

Though the performance was a step up on the insipid midweek draw with Bristol Rovers, the manager feels plenty more improvement is needed to reach the automatic promotion spots.

Gary Madine’s header put them in a good spot on Saturday, only for the Dons to draw level before half time through Tom Elliott.

Wanderers missed chances to wrap the game up in the second half and while Parkinson was not too downbeat about the result, he understands fans’ anxiety that Wanderers have stopped grinding out victories at a crucial point in the campaign.

Speaking to the The Bolton News, the Whites boss asked for supporters to stick with the club with a dozen games to go.

“We are trying to find that rhythm again, and compared with the last few weeks I think that was better against Wimbledon,” he said.

“We know the pressure is on. Games are tight and I said to the lads we’re not going to get the 4-0 or 4-1 against Gillingham or Walsall every week now, it’s a grind, and those tight games are what makes the difference between success and failure.

“You have to be prepared to push yourself to get the result and show you can handle the pressure.”

Parkinson confirmed that Jay Spearing’s injury lay-off would not be as long as first feared – although it is understood the club skipper will still be out for around a month.

The Whites boss praised Josh Vela and Morais for their energy levels – but insists he has no concern with fitness across the board.

“Going in at half time I was worried because we’d stopped doing what we’d started the game doing,” he said. “It was almost like we had a little breather, and we conceded the goal. You cannot do that.

“You’ll never dominate every game but you always need to win second balls, your regains, and that gave Wimbledon a lift.

“It can’t be a fitness thing because for 95 minutes we went to the wire. It’s a mentality thing where we stopped doing a job.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum