Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"Proud" Holdsworth hails Parkinson's marathon men at Bolton after promotion

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Dean Holdsworth has praised Phil Parkinson’s marathon men for lasting the distance in the race for automatic promotion.

Although victory over Peterborough United at the weekend was achieved in relatively comfortable fashion, Wanderers have had to find some late answers along the way to a top-two finish.

Holdsworth reckons late wins against Scunthorpe United, Southend United, Swindon Town and Rochdale reflect well on the spirit Parkinson instilled in the camp.

Indeed, Wanderers scored 11 times in the last 10 minutes this season – and hold the best record against other top-six sides in League One.

“Management always boils down to recruitment and managing people,” he told The Bolton News. “Phil has done that well. He’s got the best out of players and we were the fitter team in so many games. We’ve finished games strong, nicked goals at the end.

“They have been mentally strong, and you have to be to get results in games where maybe you are not playing at your best or you’re coming up against a well-drilled team.And that comes down to how you treat your players, whether they know their jobs.”

Parkinson joined his players last night for a civic reception at the Town Hall but will be back down to business in the next few days sorting out his plans for the Championship next year.

“He has got to enjoy these moments because they don’t come along every year as a manager,” Holdsworth said.

“There’s a lot of pressure in the job and it can be very, very hard at times. But it’s about creating these moments and hopefully they stay around with you for a long time.”

Holdsworth joined forces with Ken Anderson to buy the club in March last year and says he took great pride in watching the team rebuild their reputation in front of the fans.

His own position as co-owner remains a grey area with a deal for Anderson to buy out his shares currently in transition – but nevertheless the former Bolton striker was pleased to be a part of the celebrations.

“It was emotional. It showed what we were doing 16 months ago, all that unseen stuff, was worth it,” he told The Bolton News.

“I sat and watched the game in front of Eddie Davies, who has been involved with this club for a long, long time and he’ll tell you that your emotions tend to go up and down with your football team.

“I’d love to have been out there, kicking every ball, scoring every goal. I had a knee operation not long ago and jumping up and down celebrating hasn’t helped that one bit.

“I’m so proud of their achievements. I’m delighted for Phil Parkinson, the players and the staff, but also for the people around Bolton.

“They came and watched some pretty miserable stuff last year and while this doesn’t heal the scar, it makes it feel a lot, lot better.

“We shouldn’t have been in this position but we were, and we’ve got there over 46 games.

“We’re not yet where we deserve to be – but this is the next step.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum