Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Wanderers' reborn hero Gary Madine is staying put

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

HE finally won over the fans, and now Gary Madine has won himself a new contract at Wanderers.
The Whites will kick off the 2017/18 season in the Championship with their main target man in situ after he signed a new two-year deal yesterday.
Madine’s Macron career has come full circle, and the striker signing a new deal will be music to supporters’ ears.
Twelve months ago, he was one of the players bearing the brunt of fans’ anger in the wake of a disastrous season.
But, having been given a clean slate by manager Phil Parkinson, Madine’s value to the team became evident with a string of impressive, physical displays in League One.

This was especially clear when he played through the pain of a shoulder injury to help the Whites seal their passage back to the second tier in the final two games.
The ex-Sheffield Wednesday man, who ended the season alongside Josh Vela as joint leading scorer with 10 strikes, also proved something of a lucky charm. Of the 36 league games in which he featured they won 25 and drew six, and the Whites did not lose a match in which he found the net.
Little wonder then, that when his season appeared over after suffering the injury at Southend, many believed their promotion hopes went with him.
“I’m really over the moon to have got this sorted out so early in the summer,” he said. “Last season was great for me and the club. I really think we may surprise a few people next season.” And Parkinson was delighted to have extended Madine’s stay as they build towards a season back in the Championship.
“I’m pleased we’ve agreed a deal,” he said. “Between us, we have a clear action plan to take his game to another level. Gary is a player with potential and we will do everything we can so he can keep progressing.”

At least two more signings are expected at the Macron this week, but Parkinson has issued a note of caution and insists the overspending of previous regimes – that threatened the club’s very existence – will not happen again. Parkinson chose not to pursue his bid to bring in Bradford defender James Meredith, who has since agreed to sign for League One play-off winners Millwall when he returns from holiday.

Meredith was of interest to Parkinson but the wages he would have commanded did not fit Wanderers’ wage structuring. With prudent spending crucial to Parkinson’s recruitment plans this summer, and the club still struggling to manage its debts and come out of its transfer embargo, it is understood the Whites boss backed out of the chase.
“There will be players who want to stay at Bolton and who we want to keep,” he told The Bolton News. “But the money we spend has to be right for the long-term future of the club.”

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wanderers/15318598.Wanderers__39__reborn_hero_Madine_is_staying_put/

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum