Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Vertigo: Best Film Ever?

+7
bwfc71
Hipster_Nebula
Quent
largehat
Angry Dad
inf
Natasha Whittam
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Vertigo: Best Film Ever? Empty Vertigo: Best Film Ever? Wed Aug 01 2012, 22:03

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's been decided by the BFI's Sight and Sound magazine that Alfred Hitchcock's "Vertigo" is the best film of all time.

Do you agree? Have you even seen it because I'm ashamed to say that I haven't. If you don't agree, what would be your candidates for best film ever?

For me, you can't beat 'Back To The Future'.

2Vertigo: Best Film Ever? Empty Re: Vertigo: Best Film Ever? Wed Aug 01 2012, 22:11

inf

inf
Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

Natasha Whittam wrote:It's been decided by the BFI's Sight and Sound magazine that Alfred Hitchcock's "Vertigo" is the best film of all time.

Do you agree? Have you even seen it because I'm ashamed to say that I haven't. If you don't agree, what would be your candidates for best film ever?

For me, you can't beat 'Back To The Future'.

Haven't seen it either.
Die hard 1 is the best action movie ever. But best film ever? i don't know really.
My kids would say Barbie and the 12 dancing princess. Very entertaining..

3Vertigo: Best Film Ever? Empty Re: Vertigo: Best Film Ever? Wed Aug 01 2012, 22:11

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Get Carter or Remains of the day.

4Vertigo: Best Film Ever? Empty Re: Vertigo: Best Film Ever? Wed Aug 01 2012, 22:13

the shawshank redemption. love that film.

5Vertigo: Best Film Ever? Empty Re: Vertigo: Best Film Ever? Wed Aug 01 2012, 22:14

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

There's a really strong argument for Vertigo. It's almost certainly Hitchcock's finest hour and an incredibly influential film. Personally I find that film to be absolutely profound, it's one of maybe 10 films I have ever seen which I feel changed my life in some way. I know that sounds over the top but I love great films and I am a deep thinker.

When I was in San Francisco I made a point of visiting the California Palace of the Legion of Honour, which is visited several times in the film. I can't argue with the critics' choice really. Citizen Kane and The Godfather often win such polls. My favourite film is Taxi Driver but for totally different reasons than Vertigo.

6Vertigo: Best Film Ever? Empty Re: Vertigo: Best Film Ever? Wed Aug 01 2012, 22:15

Quent

Quent
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Debbie Does Dallas

7Vertigo: Best Film Ever? Empty Re: Vertigo: Best Film Ever? Wed Aug 01 2012, 22:18

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:There's a really strong argument for Vertigo. It's almost certainly Hitchcock's finest hour and an incredibly influential film. Personally I find that film to be absolutely profound, it's one of maybe 10 films I have ever seen which I feel changed my life in some way. I know that sounds over the top but I love great films and I am a deep thinker.

Ok, you've convinced me. I'm going to watch it at the weekend.

8Vertigo: Best Film Ever? Empty Re: Vertigo: Best Film Ever? Wed Aug 01 2012, 22:19

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Angry Dad wrote:Get Carter or Remains of the day.

Not seen Get Carter, but hated Remains Of the Day. I did say BEST film you know AD!

9Vertigo: Best Film Ever? Empty Re: Vertigo: Best Film Ever? Wed Aug 01 2012, 22:20

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

My favourite film of all time is 28 on the list - Mulholland Dr. A masterpiece.

I can't believe Tokyo Story is so high, utter tedium IMO.

Vertigo is a terrific film but it's not better than Kane.

And where is Chungking Express? Good to see In the Mood For Love break the top 50 but Chungking Express is Wong Kar Wai Masterpiece. For a film to be truly great i look for it to actually influence me in some way, have some life affirming quality. There are very few that do it.

Mulholland Dr, Manhattan, Chungking Express, Another Earth are all films that have really "spoken to me" sounds pompous in the extreme but isn't that what great art should do? Move you?

10Vertigo: Best Film Ever? Empty Re: Vertigo: Best Film Ever? Wed Aug 01 2012, 22:22

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I haven't seen the full list, but from your choices it sounds like the majority (if not all) are films made some time ago. I don't like them.

11Vertigo: Best Film Ever? Empty Re: Vertigo: Best Film Ever? Wed Aug 01 2012, 22:23

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
largehat wrote:There's a really strong argument for Vertigo. It's almost certainly Hitchcock's finest hour and an incredibly influential film. Personally I find that film to be absolutely profound, it's one of maybe 10 films I have ever seen which I feel changed my life in some way. I know that sounds over the top but I love great films and I am a deep thinker.

Ok, you've convinced me. I'm going to watch it at the weekend.

I suspect you're pulling my leg, but I really hope you do. It's actually on ITV 3 HD at 11.10pm this Friday, coincidentally.

12Vertigo: Best Film Ever? Empty Re: Vertigo: Best Film Ever? Wed Aug 01 2012, 22:23

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:

I suspect you're pulling my leg, but I really hope you do. It's actually on ITV 3 HD at 11.10pm this Friday, coincidentally.

No, I'm deadly serious. It is already on my Sky+.

13Vertigo: Best Film Ever? Empty Re: Vertigo: Best Film Ever? Wed Aug 01 2012, 22:24

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

My list? Mulholland dr. was from 2001, Chungking express 94, Another earth 2011 and Manhattan 79.

14Vertigo: Best Film Ever? Empty Re: Vertigo: Best Film Ever? Wed Aug 01 2012, 22:26

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Not seen Get Carter, but hated Remains Of the Day. I did say BEST film you know AD!

Get Carter is an iconic movie but it's probably not even in the top ten British movies ever made, let alone all movies. But it's all about opinions of course. Just like the music threads. Caine is brilliant and suave in that film but the ending is too obvious, his character is full of contradictions and a number of the peripheral performances are wooden. Cool film though. My friend's friends' friend was the guy in the scene in the bar right at the start in the pub who answers the phone and asks "Is there a Mr Carter in the house?".

15Vertigo: Best Film Ever? Empty Re: Vertigo: Best Film Ever? Wed Aug 01 2012, 22:27

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
largehat wrote:

No, I'm deadly serious. It is already on my Sky+.

Well I would be delighted if you let me know what you think after you've seen it. Try to watch it at some point when you won't be disturbed.

16Vertigo: Best Film Ever? Empty Re: Vertigo: Best Film Ever? Wed Aug 01 2012, 22:28

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:

Well I would be delighted if you let me know what you think after you've seen it. Try to watch it at some point when you won't be disturbed.

Then don't reply to my messages after 11pm on Friday Very Happy

17Vertigo: Best Film Ever? Empty Re: Vertigo: Best Film Ever? Wed Aug 01 2012, 22:32

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Hipster_Nebula wrote:

Mulholland Dr, Manhattan, Chungking Express, Another Earth are all films that have really "spoken to me" sounds pompous in the extreme but isn't that what great art should do? Move you?

I'm glad you said that, Hipster, it's what I was trying to say earlier in the thread about films which have changed my life.

Not all my favourite films have this quality we're talking about. I love The Producers because it is hysterical but it's not profound.

Besides Vertigo, I found Hitchcock's 'The Man Who Knew Too Much' and 'Rear Window' to be profound, I find Midnight Cowboy and Taxi Driver to be profound.

The most profound British movie I can think of off the top of my head is The Crying Game. Never has a film deceived me so much, you watch it thinking it's about one thing and it's about something completely different.

18Vertigo: Best Film Ever? Empty Re: Vertigo: Best Film Ever? Wed Aug 01 2012, 22:33

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
largehat wrote:

Then don't reply to my messages after 11pm on Friday Very Happy

Ha, ha, I didn't imagine you'd be watching it then, you seem to hit the sack before midnight, judging from when you post on here.

19Vertigo: Best Film Ever? Empty Re: Vertigo: Best Film Ever? Wed Aug 01 2012, 22:34

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

largehat wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:

Get Carter is an iconic movie but it's probably not even in the top ten British movies ever made, let alone all movies. But it's all about opinions of course. Just like the music threads. Caine is brilliant and suave in that film but the ending is too obvious, his character is full of contradictions and a number of the peripheral performances are wooden. Cool film though. My friend's friends' friend was the guy in the scene in the bar right at the start in the pub who answers the phone and asks "Is there a Mr Carter in the house?".
Yeah but i cant choose out of the two pushed i'd have to go for Remains i fuckin love that film cos i'm a romantic bastard at heart.

20Vertigo: Best Film Ever? Empty Re: Vertigo: Best Film Ever? Wed Aug 01 2012, 22:36

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Angry Dad wrote:i'm a romantic bastard at heart.

lol!

We need another thread which enables you to share more of your romantic stories, AD. I love 'em.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum