Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Win ugly?

+5
Leeds_Trotter
BoltonTillIDie
rammywhite
Natasha Whittam
Norpig
9 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Win ugly? Empty Win ugly? Mon Aug 14 2017, 15:38

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

There's a lot of talk on here about Parky's love of the direct approach (or hoofball as it's now known) and how effective it is or isn't.

We played direct last season and there were still the moans about it but as we eventually got promoted it didn't seem to matter as much as the ends justified the means.

The new season has started and nothing has changed, and the moaning about route one has already started due to our slow start. 

Would you prefer to win ugly and us survive in the Championship or do you want us to try to play a more expansive game and go down in a blaze of glory if it came to it, but at least you've seen some attractive football?

I can't see anything changing in the short term so we will carry on as we are and if we can survive this season it will be seen as being successful, but is that enough?

2Win ugly? Empty Re: Win ugly? Mon Aug 14 2017, 15:48

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hoofball has its place if you're good at it and it works. As it did for the majority of last season.

But we played hoofball last time we were in the Championship and were relegated long before the season ended. Madine was terrible that season because the defenders easily coped with his "aggressive" style. But Parky is falling into the same trap that Lennon fell into.

At the end of the day the hardcore fans don't really care how a game is won as long as its won, but a large percentage of folk want to be entertained, and you don't get much of that watching Bolton. If we're bottom of the league by the end of September gates will be well down on last season.

3Win ugly? Empty Re: Win ugly? Mon Aug 14 2017, 15:54

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Having the skills of Morais and Ameobi  when they are fit and on song gives us the opportunity to play a more entertaining game and win games with a bit of style. However its doubtful that we'll ever get to see them play together as I imagine that at any one time one of them will be injured or off-form and dropped.
For this season I'm happy to win ugly

4Win ugly? Empty Re: Win ugly? Mon Aug 14 2017, 16:19

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think we would be more successful playing football. Running at the defence, taking a few players on.
The direct approach has its place, against the better teams. But Millwall for example, we should be running at them. Take a player on, score a goal.

5Win ugly? Empty Re: Win ugly? Mon Aug 14 2017, 16:23

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Have we got the players to do that though BTID? Maybe when Morais and Ameobi fully fit it may be a different story but at the moment i can't see anyone capable of doing it.

6Win ugly? Empty Re: Win ugly? Mon Aug 14 2017, 16:24

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Do you honestly think he will pick Morais and Ameobi in the same team?

It will never happen.

7Win ugly? Empty Re: Win ugly? Mon Aug 14 2017, 16:54

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:Do you honestly think he will pick Morais and Ameobi in the same team?

It will never happen.

You're correct here- I don't think we'll ever see that.

8Win ugly? Empty Re: Win ugly? Mon Aug 14 2017, 17:03

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:Have we got the players to do that though BTID? Maybe when Morais and Ameobi fully fit it may be a different story but at the moment i can't see anyone capable of doing it.

ALF would suit this system better. Morais can take a player on and Ameobi - when fit. Cullen? Not too sure.

9Win ugly? Empty Re: Win ugly? Mon Aug 14 2017, 17:23

Leeds_Trotter

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

We can't even win ugly so this thread is irrelevant sorry Norpig.

10Win ugly? Empty Re: Win ugly? Mon Aug 14 2017, 17:47

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Leeds_Trotter wrote:We can't even win ugly so this thread is irrelevant sorry Norpig.

You massive gobshite.

The question was "would you prefer....".

LT, if I asked you would you prefer to shag Miley Cyrus or Katy Perry, would you answer "neither, as they are out of my league, I want to shag Mildred from the corner shop despite her massive ears"

11Win ugly? Empty Re: Win ugly? Mon Aug 14 2017, 18:19

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Hoof ball got us out of League One.....but it's not good enough for the Champs.

Better teams will score on us early and that will be that since there is no plan 'B' 

Yes somewhere during the season we will get a couple of unexpected results, Huddersfield and Burnley this weekend for example....but in the end the cream rises to the top.

I predicted 4th bottom when all said and done....... no reason the change that yet after just the two games.

12Win ugly? Empty Re: Win ugly? Mon Aug 14 2017, 18:29

Leeds_Trotter

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Leeds_Trotter wrote:We can't even win ugly so this thread is irrelevant sorry Norpig.

You massive gobshite.

LT, if I asked you would you prefer to shag Miley Cyrus or Katy Perry, would you answer "neither, as they are out of my league, I want to shag Mildred from the corner shop despite her massive ears"
Who in their right mind would chose losing over winning? My point is that we can't even win ugly. As for Mildred's ears, it gives me holding to hold on to.  Laughing

13Win ugly? Empty Re: Win ugly? Tue Aug 15 2017, 08:35

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:

You massive gobshite.

Since you're asking, Katy Perry every time  I love you

14Win ugly? Empty Re: Win ugly? Tue Aug 15 2017, 10:28

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

This season is about consolidating the finances to get the club back on an even keel and move forward from there, so surely our goal (despite Nat's comments about having the ambition to win the Championship :rofl:) is survival?
I don't give a f*** if they scratch, bite and gouge their way to survival as long as they do it. 
We can worry about style and ambition once we have built the requisite financial platform.

That said, playing a style that doesn't create enough chances to to get the necessary points could be the end of us so ugly is fine as long as Parky has the flexibility and imagination to get us to win ugly and I'm not convinced he has.

This season's results and nothing else will be the benchmark by which Parky is judged and I only hope he proves he is more than one dimensional.

15Win ugly? Empty Re: Win ugly? Tue Aug 15 2017, 10:38

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:I don't give a f*** if they scratch, bite and gouge their way to survival as long as they do it. 
We can worry about style and ambition once we have built the requisite financial platform.

You bellend. Of course you don't care how they play - you're not bloody there! It's a bit like saying you don't care about train tickets doubling in price because you only use buses.

If you'd paid £30 for a ticket, £5 for a programme, £2 for a bottle of water and spent 20 minutes trying to find somewhere to park you would probably expect more than hoofball game after game.

16Win ugly? Empty Re: Win ugly? Tue Aug 15 2017, 10:48

Fabians Right Peg

Fabians Right Peg
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Natasha Whittam wrote:
If you'd paid £30 for a ticket, £5 for a programme, £2 for a bottle of water and spent 20 minutes trying to find somewhere to park you would probably expect more than hoofball game after game.

Where are you buying your programmes from you are being ripped off big time.

17Win ugly? Empty Re: Win ugly? Tue Aug 15 2017, 10:49

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Fabians Right Peg wrote:Where are you buying your programmes from you are being ripped off big time.

I don't buy a programme, I was guessing at the price.

18Win ugly? Empty Re: Win ugly? Tue Aug 15 2017, 10:50

Fabians Right Peg

Fabians Right Peg
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

£3, Darren Pratley was centrefold against Leeds, right up your street I would suspect.

19Win ugly? Empty Re: Win ugly? Tue Aug 15 2017, 10:58

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Fabians Right Peg wrote:£3, Darren Pratley was centrefold against Leeds, right up your street I would suspect.

You bitch.

Darren Pratley is too skinny for me.

20Win ugly? Empty Re: Win ugly? Tue Aug 15 2017, 11:34

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Natasha Whittam wrote:If you'd paid £30 for a ticket, £5 for a programme, £2 for a bottle of water and spent 20 minutes trying to find somewhere to park you would probably expect more than hoofball game after game.

Just to put this into a bit of context, I went to a London's theatre yesterday to watch the musical Kinky Boots (as a belated birthday present to my daughter) and the ticket price we got cost £35, a programme £5, and a bottle of water £1.20 (from a near by Sainsbury local) - with underground train station being about a ten minute walk away, if that.

So a run of the mill football match is now charging similarly to what you can pay to go and see a top west end show in London.

Madness.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum