Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Niall Maher felt "cheated" on his Bolton Wanderers exit

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ex-Wanderers academy graduate Niall Maher has moved to Ireland to try and kick-start his career.

Released just over two years ago after more than a decade in the Whites’ youth system, the Manchester-born defender is now looking to lay down some firm roots with Galway United.

Maher’s first few years in senior football have not been without incident. He made his professional debut on loan at Blackpool in January 2015 as a teenager – but the Seasiders, then at the height of a recruitment crisis, crashed to a 7-2 defeat against Watford.

He returned to Wanderers with the club also experiencing serious financial difficulties and played five games under Jimmy Phillips and Peter Reid at the tail end of a forgettable campaign.

Little did he know at the time but a red card at Cardiff City for an elbow on Craig Noone – himself now a Bolton player – proved his final act.

Stripped of the services of so many senior players in the long, slow walk towards relegation in 2015/16, Phillips had offered opportunities to a handful of home-grown youngsters including Maher, Oscar Threlkeld, Andy Kellett and Tyler Garratt.

Many expected Wanderers to carry the core of youth through to League One but the decision was taken from on high to strip 20 professional contracts from the books.

“It was a huge shock (getting released),” Maher said in an interview with The 42. “Going into the summer of that year, I had been told I was going to get a contract there. They said: ‘Go away and we’ll negotiate your contract over the summer.’

“I’d been there for 14 years. The games I played I gave my all in, proving myself that I could make that debut after 14 years. It was a kick in the teeth to be promised (a new deal) and be told two different things. I felt we got cheated.

“It was only by a phone call that I was (later) told that I was getting released. Not from the chairman or the manager themselves, but from the club secretary, so it came as a shock to me and the club secretary that I was leaving as well as a couple of the other boys.

“We felt a bit let down, as we were promised that we would be kept. It was a shocking moment — to be told you were getting a contract to two weeks later being told you were leaving.

“We had a good relationship with the interim manager (Phillips), who stood in (once Lennon left). Towards the end of the year, he said: ‘Listen, you’re getting your contracts, you’ve done well. You’ve always done well — we’re looking forward to using you next year.’ But it was just the new owners – financially, they weren’t in a stable position.”

Maher had played five times at the end of Wanderers’ last spell in the Championship but dropped down to League One to play for neighbouring Bury on his release at the Macron.

“Just to be in that first-team environment was a major thing for me as a young lad,” said the youngster, who eventually played 22 games for the Shakers.

“Going (to Blackpool) at 20-years-old and playing in the Championship against top-class opposition, it was very good for my game and obviously improved me as a player.

“The teams you come up against, the lower down the leagues you go, are probably slightly more physical than the higher leagues.”

At the end of last season Maher found himself looking for a new club once again.

He had offers from Wales but chose West Ireland, where the promise of regular football in an improving league was an intriguing prospect.

“I’m young, I’m still learning my trade even though I’ve played at higher levels against some of the top teams in England,” he said. “I just want to play football and develop as a player. Hopefully, whether it be here, back home, or anywhere else, this will stand me in good stead (in the long-term).”

Source

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

From what i've been told by a Bury fan i work with he was poor at Bury and constantly gave away penalties. At the time we released him i thought it was a mistake but i've changed my mind now.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum