Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLASHBACK: Bolton's long-distance rivalry with Ipswich Town

+3
xmiles
Norpig
karlypants
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

A 500-mile round trip separates the two towns but recent history has ensured games between Bolton and Ipswich have never lacked passion.

Wanderers have not won a league game against the Tractor Boys since Fredi Bobic scored a hat-trick in 2002 to help Sam Allardyce’s side take a massive step towards survival.

A cup win in 2005 came courtesy of three goals in eight minutes from Stelios and Henrik Pedersen (2) but since then nine meetings have yielded just three draws and six defeats.

Frank Worthington’s famous goal in 1979 at Burnden Park came against Ipswich - who actually won the game that day, 3-2.

“I scored two of the best goals of my career that day,” remarked Scottish striker Alan Brazil, “but no-one ever remembers them because of how good Frank’s goal was.”

Voted goal of the season by ‘On The Ball’ - it was one of 24 the swaggering striker scored that season to finish top scorer in the First Division.

Unfortunately, a different name crops up these days when Bolton and Ipswich are mentioned in the same sentence. Orpington referee Barry Knight.

Reviled in these parts for his performance in the 2000 play-off semi-final second-leg defeat at Portman Road, Knight awarded Ipswich three penalties, gave two red and 12 yellow cards to Bolton while the home side did not receive any.

Source

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Just reading the name Barry Knight makes me angry even now, the bent bastard  Evil or Very Mad

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Norpig wrote:Just reading the name Barry Knight makes me angry even now, the bent bastard  Evil or Very Mad

:agree:

Growler

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I think we laid the Ipswich bogy when we did the double on them in 2001/02

As well as the famous Bobic hat trick, we beat them at Portman Road in a live televised match, and broke their new striker's leg.

I well remember, a glorious evening in April when an Ipswich home defeat by Man Utd confirmed we had avoided relegation.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Growler wrote:I think we laid the Ipswich bogy when we did the double on them in 2001/02

As well as the famous Bobic hat trick, we beat them at Portman Road in a live televised match, and broke their new striker's leg.

I well remember, a glorious evening in April when an Ipswich home defeat by Man Utd confirmed we had avoided relegation.
We've done nowt against them for years. Since 2005 when we won a cup tie against them, we've lost 6 drawn 3 and won absolutely f*** all.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:Just reading the name Barry Knight makes me angry even now, the bent bastard  Evil or Very Mad
Don't ever mention that man to me!FLASHBACK: Bolton's long-distance rivalry with Ipswich Town Z

Growler

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

wanderlust wrote:
Growler wrote:I think we laid the Ipswich bogy when we did the double on them in 2001/02

We've done nowt against them for years. Since 2005 when we won a cup tie against them, we've lost 6 drawn 3 and won absolutely f*** all.
True, but this is all since we got relegated from the Prem  and have been a club in free fall. Even the likes of Middlesbrough, Burnley and Preston who all went 20 years without winning at our ground now come to our ground and win.
Most Championship clubs could be considered our bogy team in the last few years, I don't think Ipswich are a particular hoodoo team for us.

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

That game, That Ref still makes my blood boil, if that was Man U, he would have been investigated the cheating barsteward. His pup Mike Riley wasn't much better but now runs the show ?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum