Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton to expand options beyond Bradford striker Charlie Wyke

+3
wanderlust
Growler
Sluffy
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

PHIL Parkinson has dropped a heavy hint that Wanderers are looking at alternative options to long-time target Charlie Wyke.
After competing with Sunderland for the Bradford City striker all summer, an ill-timed knee injury appears to have forced the club into widening their search for attacking reinforcements.
Ipswich Town’s Joe Garner is one of the players thought to interest the Bolton boss, who admitted he wants TWO more front men before the close of the loan window on August 31.

Feelers were put out for a loan striker earlier in the summer, with Wolves' Spanish youngster Rafa Mir - who has since signed for Las Palmas - one of the options investigated.
Parkinson has declined to address Wyke’s individual situation and is content to leave the matter in the hands of his chairman, Ken Anderson, who was handed a shortlist of potential candidates in May.
“I’ve never mentioned specific player and people have talked about what is first choice, second choice, but realistically, we need to progress quickly and we need strength in that department,” he told The Bolton News.
“In every interview I have done this season I have said the chairman is speaking to other clubs. But unfortunately these things take time. It is frustrating.
“Strikers are hard to get. No-one wants to sell them. But we are working towards sorting it – and I think we need two.”

By Parkinson’s own estimation, Wanderers’ squad is still five players short of where it needs to be, and the feeling of concern among supporters was ramped up with a 3-1 friendly defeat at non-league Guiseley on Tuesday night.
The manager says there have been complications in getting some of his deals over the line, including an unavoidable delay in securing ex-Sunderland and Stoke City man Marc Wilson to a 12-month deal this week.
“I can’t do it any faster than I am doing,” he said.
“I am trying to get additions in. I think Marc Wilson is a good signing – a versatile player who covers a lot of positions.

“That could have been done a couple of weeks ago but unfortunately he had a family bereavement and had to go back to Ireland, and I have been keeping in touch with him.”

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/16376414.bolton-to-expand-options-beyond-bradford-striker-charlie-wyke/

Growler

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

We're making a right pig's ear of signing a half decent striker aren't we....its not as though the likes of Garner, McGoldrick and Wyke need charming and persuading like Nicolas Anelka.

It's looking like Ken won't spend any money to me

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Growler wrote:We're making a right pig's ear of signing a half decent striker aren't we....its not as though the likes of Garner, McGoldrick and Wyke need charming and persuading like Nicolas Anelka.

It's looking like Ken won't spend any money to me
I would be shocked to the core if Anderson gets through an entire transfer window without making a substantial investment in the team or getting someone in who can. Shocked  Shocked !

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Oh here we go, another bash at the chairman because a player hasn't signed for us. In case you hadn't noticed we AREN'T the only club interested in Wyke NOR do we have limitless money or a huge fanbase that generates massive revenues on their own. Perhaps you'd like to suggest where this substantial investment money will come from?

Guys, try to be realistic here. It looks very much to me as if Bradford are dragging this out in order to inflate the fee as much as possible by making Wyke a 'panic' buy. We most likely can't match Sunderland's offer in terms of wages even if we can match the fee so it makes sense the club looks elsewhere.

Growler, may I remind you that we were an established Premier League club when Anelka came here and he didn't require charming since he had a bad reputation as a troublemaker that put the big clubs right off him in much the same way they didn't want E H Diouf? We're now a second tier club that only kept that status last season by the skin of its teeth AND we've already made several signings in this window. Strikers are ALWAYS more expensive at any level and that's probably why we haven't got one who can actually improve us yet.

lusty, where do you expect this 'someone who can' to come from? By what light do you see BWFC as such an attractive business proposition an investor or consortium with deep pockets is just waiting to throw money at us and why in God's name would Ken try to block it if such a person or people existed?

I do wish the two of you would stop seeing everything Ken and the board do as some sort of nefarious plan to destroy the club for personal gain since there's no logic or sense in it at all.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

luckyPeterpiper wrote:Oh here we go, another bash at the chairman because a player hasn't signed for us. In case you hadn't noticed we AREN'T the only club interested in Wyke NOR do we have limitless money or a huge fanbase that generates massive revenues on their own. Perhaps you'd like to suggest where this substantial investment money will come from?

Guys, try to be realistic here. It looks very much to me as if Bradford are dragging this out in order to inflate the fee as much as possible by making Wyke a 'panic' buy. We most likely can't match Sunderland's offer in terms of wages even if we can match the fee so it makes sense the club looks elsewhere.

Growler, may I remind you that we were an established Premier League club when Anelka came here and he didn't require charming since he had a bad reputation as a troublemaker that put the big clubs right off him in much the same way they didn't want E H Diouf? We're now a second tier club that only kept that status last season by the skin of its teeth AND we've already made several signings in this window. Strikers are ALWAYS more expensive at any level and that's probably why we haven't got one who can actually improve us yet.

lusty, where do you expect this 'someone who can' to come from? By what light do you see BWFC as such an attractive business proposition an investor or consortium with deep pockets is just waiting to throw money at us and why in God's name would Ken try to block it if such a person or people existed?

I do wish the two of you would stop seeing everything Ken and the board do as some sort of nefarious plan to destroy the club for personal gain since there's no logic or sense in it at all.
But we were told multiple times that money would be made available and furthermore interested buyers were under scrutiny ---- Nope. As of today neither is true. So we know we are skint and we would accept that regarding free & loan players but don't lie to us. That's all.

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

terenceanne wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:Oh here we go, another bash at the chairman because a player hasn't signed for us. In case you hadn't noticed we AREN'T the only club interested in Wyke NOR do we have limitless money or a huge fanbase that generates massive revenues on their own. Perhaps you'd like to suggest where this substantial investment money will come from?

But we were told multiple times that money would be made available and furthermore interested buyers were under scrutiny ---- Nope. As of today neither is true. So we know we are skint and we would accept that regarding free & loan players but don't lie to us. That's all.

Both statements may be true.

Money may well have been made available for players at what is deemed to be the right fee, and salary, by Parkinson and Anderson.

Potential buyers may be under scrutiny, or by now scrutinised and eliminated.

It's frustrating but I don't think we should be calling them liars just yet. Based on our recent history, we aren't the most attractive club for players or buyers and the options must be limited as a result.

I'm afraid we, as fans, just have to accept what we're told at the moment (there's a lot of nonsense swirling around in the media these days) and hope that everyone involved at the highest level has BWFCs best interests at heart.

I'm looking forward to the new season and keeping my fingers crossed that Parkinson has actually improved the team the way I'm starting to believe.

We'll get a striker in. Whether he's any good or not is yet to be seen but there is no way we can go into the season without. Parky can't pull off another survival with both arms and legs tied behind his back and I don't think he'll put up with it for much longer.

UP THE WHITES!

y2johnny

y2johnny
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

finlaymcdanger wrote:
terenceanne wrote:

Both statements may be true.

Money may well have been made available for players at what is deemed to be the right fee, and salary, by Parkinson and Anderson.

Potential buyers may be under scrutiny, or by now scrutinised and eliminated.

It's frustrating but I don't think we should be calling them liars just yet. Based on our recent history, we aren't the most attractive club for players or buyers and the options must be limited as a result.

I'm afraid we, as fans, just have to accept what we're told at the moment (there's a lot of nonsense swirling around in the media these days) and hope that everyone involved at the highest level has BWFCs best interests at heart.

I'm looking forward to the new season and keeping my fingers crossed that Parkinson has actually improved the team the way I'm starting to believe.

We'll get a striker in. Whether he's any good or not is yet to be seen but there is no way we can go into the season without. Parky can't pull off another survival with both arms and legs tied behind his back and I don't think he'll put up with it for much longer.

UP THE WHITES!
:agree:

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum