Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ben Alnwick won't let keeper issues distract him

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ben Alnwick says he won’t lose focus on the Championship season despite the lack of senior competition at Wanderers.

Last season’s player of the year finds himself as the only experienced keeper on the Bolton books at present, with the opening game against West Brom just eight days away.

Sam Walker, who has been on trial for the last few weeks, signed a three-year deal with Reading on Wednesday after failing to get an offer from Bolton.

Ben Amos and Jake Turner were sent out on loan this month to Millwall and Stalybridge, respectively, which means academy graduate James Aspinall is the only other stopper on the books.

Veteran Ben Williams – who has been coaching at academy level – was in goal at Guiseley on Tuesday night but Alnwick says the uncertainty over who will be his back-up will not affect his own game.

“I can only do what I can do, the rest is out of my hands,” he told The Bolton News. “We had Sam in and I wish him all the best down there but even if we don’t bring anyone else in we’ve got Jake Turner and James Aspinall coming through.

“A year ago you might not have heard of James but he and Jake have come back looking tip-top. I think they have a real chance.

“Everyone wants to play and my situation doesn’t change. I want to keep the number one shirt.

“Lee Butler is there as the goalkeeping coach and he makes sure you work hard, no matter what.”

Alnwick heads to his old club Peterborough United on Saturday for what will be the final dress rehearsal before the first competitive game at the Hawthorns.

“Saturday is the game we need to be going in full-throttle, ready for West Brom away,” he said.

“No matter what has gone on this summer there’s a good feeling among the lads and it will stand us in good stead.

“Going to your old club is nice, seeing the faces. It’s all prep for the season, it’s not one we’ll lose sleep over. But it’ll be a good test because they are a good team with a lot of new lads there.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum