Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Alan Houghton's Fans' View: Wanderers fans have reasons to be cheerful

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It seems like only yesterday Aaron Wilbraham stooped to score and become a Wanderers legend, yet it’s time to go again. So, what have we got to look forward to this season?

Off the field I think we have reached a significant turning point in our recovery from the threatened oblivion we faced a couple of years ago.

The wage bill is down to manageable levels with just one exception, a host of bad contracts have been sorted, costs reduced, and income boosted. Everybody I have spoken to reckons the sale of Gary Madine was a good bit of business. Mr Anderson has had to do the dirty work and we’re now in a position to rebuild.

Finances are still fragile as the players’ strike demonstrated and will remain so until significant investment is acquired.

Compared to most others, Wanderers now represent a good investment opportunity and it is imperative any investor is genuinely interested in the future of the club and not in making a quick buck at our expense.

Hopefully a new stadium naming deal is imminent but as a fan, I would like to see the stadium given a permanent name, pre-fixed by a sponsor’s name like they do in cricket, so we don’t have to keep changing the actual stadium name. Maybe I’m old fashioned, but I still ‘Walk down the Manny Road, to see the Burnden aces’.

One effect of the necessary clear-out of players is that we have been left with a very small squad and probably about 12 need to be recruited during the summer.

We’re in the beg, steal or borrow market as our finances and new wage structure dictate, but so are most other clubs in the EFL. Phil Parkinson’s task is to get the right players in and make them into a good team.

The summer recruits so far look promising, though all of January’s recruits were total flops and a waste of valuable resources.

It is hard to glean anything from the disrupted pre-season, except that we could cope in the National League and we’re unbeaten in Europe.

The obvious thing is we’ve got a decent first XI but nowhere near enough cover and competition for a decent squad. Three or four youngsters might step up but are more likely to go out on loan first. The picture could change with recruitment and investment but, as it stands, survival is the name of the game again, preferably not cutting it as fine as last season.

We need a good start, which looks unlikely because of the number of new players. Parkinson will need time to blend them into his team but that is something you don’t get a lot of in the Championship.

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum