Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Phil Parkinson says Bolton Wanderers still a work in progress

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Phil Parkinson won’t be making predictions on Wanderers’ targets for the Championship season ahead until he knows exactly how his squad is shaping up.

Though all involved will be hoping for something marginally less dramatic than last season’s Houdini escape from relegation on the last day, there are still some glaring spaces to be filled in the Bolton squad.

As the manager drove away from Peterborough on Saturday he had hope of making five new signings by the end of August – and that is assuming interest from elsewhere in the likes of Mark Beevers and Adam Le Fondre does not progress further.

Exactly how high Wanderers can set their sights in the Championship – a division in which many clubs have been tightening their belts this summer – might depend on the quality of player Parkinson can now bring through the door.

“Before I can answer where I expect us to be, we need to get some more players in,” he told The Bolton News. “Everyone knows where the gaps are in my squad.

“That’s my target this week so I am not going to worry about making predictions until my squad is in place. We will have a better idea of where we stand after what I hope will be a busy week.”

Much of the discussion this summer has been about bolstering Wanderers’ attack, and with the signing of Charlton Athletic’s Josh Magennis expected to be completed today, Parkinson has been quick to state he needs even more of a goal threat.

Northern Ireland international Magennis may supply some of the muscle which has been lacking since the departure of Gary Madine in January but knowing how the lack of options up front have cut deep in the last couple of seasons, Parkinson is keen not to be left short this time around.

Wanderers finally appear to have some money to spend on transfer fees but Ken Anderson has already voiced his intention to pay only what he believes in the market worth for signings this summer.

Having seen Magennis snapped up for a bargain £200,000 – less than half the offer which was turned down in January by Charlton – Parkinson is happy to leave things in the hands of his chairman.

“We said at the start of the summer we need to buy as many strikers as we can – but realistically it’s a very competitive market out there,” he said.

“I made my recommendations but when it gets to the stage where it’s chairman to chairman, those negotiations can take time.

“It’s important we get the right deal for our club.”

The new players Parkinson has added to the squad have settled well, although Marc Wilson was forced to sit out at Peterborough with a minor injury problem.

A close eye is also being kept on Clayton Donaldson after the striker complained of a tight groin late in the game at the ABAX Stadium.

Parkinson was pleased with what he saw of the other new recruits.

“Pawel (Olkowski) is getting fitter and stronger and I really like his mentality. He grew into the game the longer it went on and looked comfortable.

“Jason Lowe was the best player on the park against Peterborough. We’ve given him lots of minutes this pre-season because he didn’t really get that this year. He looks like he’s right up to speed.

“He’s a good player. He’s a leader, very vocal, and he sets high standards.”

Yanic Wildschut, the Dutch winger added on loan from Norwich City, is also getting to where Parkinson wants him to be.

“You can see some touches of class with Yanic and he’s still feeling his way to full match sharpness,” he said. “He will definitely get there. He’s a very good player.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum