Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ex-Bolton, Liverpool and England star Peter Thompson dies, aged 76

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Former Wanderers, Liverpool and England winger Peter Thompson has passed away at the age of 76.

Ex-Bolton, Liverpool and England star Peter Thompson dies, aged 76 9233873

A league championship and FA Cup-winner by the time he signed for Jimmy Armfield’s Bolton, initially on loan in December 1973, he went on to make 132 appearances for the club and score two goals.

Thompson had started his career with Preston and won 16 caps for his country after signing for Bill Shankly at Anfield but was dropped from the squad in the build-up to the 1966 World Cup because of Sir Alf Ramsey’s plan to play without wide men.

Shankly once said of Thompson: "He could run forever, but more importantly in football he could run with the ball - probably the hardest thing to do.

"He could run every minute of every game, every week, every year better than anybody else.

"His work-rate was outstanding, his fitness unequalled, his balance like a ballet dancer. I have no hesitation in placing Peter up among the all-time greats - alongside such players as Tom Finney, Stanley Matthews and George Best."

He played 323 league games in all for the Reds and had been considering retirement when he was convinced to come to Burnden Park, making his debut in a 1-0 victory against Sunderland.

His superb form helped secure a permanent contract and Thompson’s signing proved to be an astute one, as he was a driving force for Ian Greaves as the club secured promotion to Division One at the back end of the 1970s.

Thompson also had a testimonial in April 1978 against a combined Liverpool and Everton team which attracted more than 20,000 fans.

Source

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Along with Tony Dunne he was the best player I ever saw play live until the more recent era of Hierro, Djorkaeff and Anelka.

Thompson was a World Cup winner, and League and FA Cup winner when we signed him so I'm not exaggerating my claim in any way.

Time catches up with us all in the end sadly.

Thanks for the memories Thomo.

RIP

PS - remember his testimonial well - some 40 years ago now!

Frightening how time slips away.

bryan458

bryan458
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Fortunate to see him play at BWFC left winger took over from Ronnie Phillips who was another fanastic winger rip lad you were a credit !!!

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Very sad. 76 is no age these days. A very fine player. RIP.

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

bryan458 wrote:Fortunate to see him play at BWFC left winger took over from Ronnie Phillips who was another fanastic winger rip lad you were a credit !!!
The best winger to play for Bolton, i used to pay just to watch him warm up, so skillful he would be marked by two or three defenders and still provided a cross, pure class.

Fair play Bryan but my memories of Ronnie Phillips were more of a bench player or reserve but yes he did play a good number of games for the whites.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum