Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Movie Soundtracks

+4
Natasha Whittam
Hipster_Nebula
largehat
doffcocker
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Movie Soundtracks  Empty Movie Soundtracks Sat Sep 01 2012, 02:54

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

This track from American Beauty is nothing short of stunning in my estimation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDOXxa1U7Oc

I don't think there's a weak track on About a Boy, all by Bolton's very own Badly Drawn Boy. This one is one of my favourites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaySh8SwxPU

This one's my favourite from The Graduate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuoRCQOEEl8

Love this from Trainspotting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrR1fVh-A4E

Kill Bill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaVNfZWBVhQ

2Movie Soundtracks  Empty Re: Movie Soundtracks Sat Sep 01 2012, 03:24

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Some very decent picks there, doffcocker.

When I think of the American Beauty soundtrack I think of that piano piece you mention and I also think of the harmony of Lennon and McCartney singing 'Because' as the film ends.

The Graduate arguably is the film with the best one-artist soundtrack ever made. It makes me emotional to think of Dustin Hoffman crossing (I think) the Bay Bridge, pursuing an unknown future, to the accompaniment of 'Scarborough Fair', or contemplating the futility of his affair to the sound of 'April, Come She Will' - I am a massive fan of both The Graduate and Simon & Garfunkel. I saw S&G live at the MEN about 10 years ago. I visit Widnes railway station quite often to watch rugby, there used to be a plaque there as it's where Paul Simon wrote 'Homeward Bound', stranded on the platform over night there, but unfortunately the plaque keeps getting stolen. Widnes is a bit too close to Liverpool.

The Graduate is a great film for anyone who wants to get an idea of film theory to watch. There is all sorts of clever stuff in that film created by Mike Nicols. There's a scene in a hotel room where Benjamin and Mrs Robinson argue about their relationship. Benjamin is 'framed' by a doorway which splits the shot in two. If you look closely there is a shadow of a candle on Mrs Robinson's side of the shot which resembles a phallus, symbolising that she has the sexual power and control in their relationship. I also really like the bit where Benjamin follows Elaine to the zoo and she meets up with Carl, and they leave Benjamin on his own. He makes eye contact with a lonely looking orangutan which is in an enclosure on its own. The orangutan itself is looking enviously across the way at two other primates who are an obvious male/female pair. It's just beautifully done. I also love the use of symbolism involving water in that film.

Trainspotting also has a great soundtrack, more of a fan of Iggy Pop than Underworld. Though I was about 18 when that film came out and that track was popular in the clubs, don't know if it is still is, but I associate it with clubbing. It's interesting to me how there's now a generation of British people in their 20s and 30s now who automatically associate the song 'Perfect Day' with Ewen McGregor lay on the floor overdosing on heroin. What would Lou Reed have thought? It's a great example of how effective use of music can actually 'change' the song's meaning for people.

I thought the soundtrack to Kill Bill Volume 1 was probably the weakest of the Tarantino soundtracks, not in terms of how well the tracks worked in the film - I thought they were very effective - but as a standalone album, it was quite tedious. That Nancy Sinatra track is a delight though. It goes to show that a soundtrack can unify a film well but not necessarily an album, I just thought it was disjointed.

3Movie Soundtracks  Empty Re: Movie Soundtracks Sat Sep 01 2012, 12:13

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I absolutely love film scores, i always differentiate between scores and just songs that happen to be used in a movie. Scores IMO are far more interesting. There are far far too many to mention but here's a few of my favourites.

John Williams Born on the 4th of July.

John Williams the Motorcade from JFK

Alan Silvestre's Tunnel chase back to the future II

Hans Zimmer - Watergate

James Horner - burning the town of darien.

Hans Zimmer Chevaliers de Sangreal

4Movie Soundtracks  Empty Re: Movie Soundtracks Sat Sep 01 2012, 12:18

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Not really big on film soundtracks, I have quite a few on CD but there aren't many that I rate. 'Do The Right Thing' is the only memorable one for me.

5Movie Soundtracks  Empty Re: Movie Soundtracks Sat Sep 01 2012, 12:28

Lyric Todkill

Lyric Todkill
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Doesn't get better than this

6Movie Soundtracks  Empty Re: Movie Soundtracks Sat Sep 01 2012, 12:58

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

1- Melody-1971 Bee Gees (morning of my life)one of the best songs ever written. Plus melody fair, and first of may, love this film.

2-The graduate. simon & Garfunkel.

3-Magical mystery tour. Beatles (music only)

4-Remains of the day. Richard Robbins (Heavenly music)

5-Saturday night fever. Bee Gees

6-Birdy. Peter Gabriel.

7-Firestarter. Tangerine Dream. (crystal voice) and many others.

7Movie Soundtracks  Empty Re: Movie Soundtracks Sat Sep 01 2012, 13:21

Wonderland from 2003 has one of the best soundtracks, including

Also has T-Rex, Lou Reed, Iggy Pop, Bob Dylan and Billy Joel, and it's a really good film based on a true story.

8Movie Soundtracks  Empty Re: Movie Soundtracks Sun Sep 02 2012, 02:05

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Wow. I thought I would be the only one sad enough to like movie scores! What do these say about me?

I like the Starwars theme and the Death March. (I don't know if they have other names sorry.

Like Superman theme. James Bond.

Jurassic Park theme is great and gives me shivers.

Jaws. Batman Returns.

Enjoyed some of the sound track and sounds from Terminator.

You know, I even like the sound of the THX logo before a good film. I'll post my favourite if I find it.

9Movie Soundtracks  Empty Re: Movie Soundtracks Sun Sep 02 2012, 12:46

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I like the Poltergeist sound track - But I also loved the films too, so thats probably why...

https://youtu.be/TiNTy3YqczM

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum