Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

McGinlay we should have sacked Parkinson and we would have stayed up!

+4
BoltonTillIDie
karlypants
Norpig
Sluffy
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

A complete lack of class from one former pro demanding another to be sacked - and for his best mate to have been given the job instead! 

Even if he believes (and that probably everyone agrees with that view) he should not be expressing his views in the public domain.

Anyway -

JOHN McGinlay feels that Wanderers paid a heavy price last season for failing to change their manager.
The former Burnden Park favourite feels Phil Parkinson’s position should have been reconsidered long before financial troubles finally made their position in the Championship untenable.
Ken Anderson said in October that he would take “any actions necessary” to correct what was then a dip in form – a statement which was widely interpreted as a warning to the manager.
But as problems piled up on and off the pitch, McGinlay feels a change at the top could have had a beneficial effect on the team’s fortunes.

“They made a good start but after a couple of defeats they had gone back to old habits by October,” he told The Bolton News.
“At that stage the manager’s position should have been under pressure, there should have been a change before Christmas, but there was nobody around to make a decision.
“The regime didn’t want to pay them off, that’s the simple truth.
“Other clubs acted and got that upturn in form and that’s what rankles with me, it’s that we didn’t try, we just put up a white flag.

“I have said it before but maybe it came out wrong – the manager didn’t hide behind the problems there were at the club but it definitely took the spotlight off him.
“It took the focus off results, off performances and he was protected with people’s sympathy.”
McGinlay is in no doubt who he feels Wanderers should have turned to on the management front.
I would have given David Lee an opportunity,” he said. “He has been patient and he’s earned the right to have a crack at it with the work he’s done in the Under-23s.”
Pay issues culminated in the unprecedented player strike in April, which forced the cancellation of a league fixture against Brentford.
Wanderers still do not know what punishment they will face for failing to play the game, which was eventually awarded to the Bees in a 1-0 walkover.

An independent panel will meet in the coming weeks to assess what penalties will be placed on the club – but many expect a further points deduction on top of the 12 for going into administration.
McGinlay has sympathy for the players, even though many of them will not be with the club when it is reprimanded in League One.
“Whether it was right or wrong, they felt they had to make that stand,” he said.
“It is hard for anyone who isn’t in that position to judge.
“I will say this, it’s unfortunate not many of them will be there to take the punishment. That is what is going to make it difficult for a new owner.
“You can’t turn the clock back but if the person running the club had done it properly then we would not be in this position.”

Wanderers have just 81 days before the first ball is kicked in League One and, as yet, have just a handful of contracted players, no owner, no pre-season friendlies planned and no season ticket prices.
McGinlay feels the biggest job new ownership face is to rebuild the relationship between Bolton’s fans and the club again.
“There is a mistrust from the supporters in the town. Someone has got to get people falling in love with the club,” he said.
“Anyone coming in has got to say ‘bear with us’ because there is a lot of work to be done.
“You are looking at minus whatever points so it won’t be easy to put bums on seats, it’ll be tough. If you get off to a bad start then my big worry is that you’ll be playing to an empty stadium.

“You are probably looking at signing 20 players this summer so trying to get them to gel together is not easy given the timescale.”

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/17637677.ex-bolton-striker-claims-manager-change-could-have-saved-club/?ref=nuo

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Don't go knocking a club legend like Super John! He didn't say we would have stayed up either Sluffy so you may want to edit that. He merely said we should have sacked him and it may have meant an upturn in our form under a new manager.
If i didn't know better Sluffy, i would think you disliked Super John for having a go at your good mate Kenocchio  Razz

Super John has more than earned the right to have his say on this and it's what most of the fans would agree with.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Norpig wrote:Don't go knocking a club legend like Super John! He didn't say we would have stayed up either Sluffy so you may want to edit that. He merely said we should have sacked him and it may have meant an upturn in our form under a new manager.
If i didn't know better Sluffy, i would think you disliked Super John for having a go at your good mate Kenocchio  Razz

Super John has more than earned the right to have his say on this and it's what most of the fans would agree with.

He certainly implied we could have done if we had sacked him - and the title's there to attract peoples eye enough to want to read it - so I think it's doing its job.

I don't under stand why people seem to think because someone was good at a physical sport that they should also be considered to be some sort of a cerebral colossus? 

From the interviews I've seen and read from McGinlay he seems to come across as passionate, somewhat petty and vindictive and not the sharpest of tools from the tool box.  His public forum plea of a couple of weeks ago, for us to be put into Administration and his immediate back pedalling from it when it was spelt out to him what Administration would mean amused me considerably on the night. 

To be honest I think he's been used by his buddies like Iles and the ST to sound off about KA, to further their own agendas, and has been simply not been bright enough to understand that he's being constantly played by them.

Compare him to Kelly who both have the same contacts and friends, who are both club legends and who no doubt have the same views about Anderson, yet you seldom here from Kelly and McGinlay is wheeled out front and centre all the time.

I don't doubt what he has said about Parkinson should have been sacked months ago is right - Christ I agree with him on this myself - but I do think it is rank bad form for an ex-pro to be demanding someone should behave been sacked months ago - whilst that person is still in the same job today.

There's many, many footballers both former and current but you don't read of hardly any of them going on public record saying the current manager of their club should be sacked.

Show's how classless (and dumb?) he really is.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You still can't admit KA has any part in our troubles can you? I'm beginning to think you are him or at least related.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Very Happy

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Norpig wrote:You still can't admit KA has any part in our troubles can you? I'm beginning to think you are him or at least related.

I'm more than happy to accept the club ran out of money - I don't believe anyone thinks otherwise.

What I am not certain of is why?

Have you (or anyone else got proof) Anderson pocketed millions to leave it short of cash, or did expenditure simply overtake income no matter how hard Ken tried not to pay anyone?

You and many others have taken your choice to believe Anderson was a crook and robbed the club blind.

I simply want proof that he did.

Why does that make me a Ken lover?

Is it not simply how things should work - you know innocent until proven guilty?

Just for fun I'll leave you with a quote Iles made just 8 months back in September -

"The funding GAP for the next 12 months, taking into consideration only those debts which are due and outstanding bills, is thought to be close to £13m".

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/16833145.bolton-wanderers-set-for-administration/

So 8 months after Iles wrote there was a £13m black hole to plug within the year, we crash and burn.

Now does it sound as though Anderson robbed the club blind and caused that to happen or  because he and Eddie weren't putting their hands in their own pockets to plug the black hole that the club inevitably had to crash?

You believe the former (based on just on hearsay), and I think the latter more likely to be the case.

That's really our only difference between us two.

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Overall Ken ran the club poorly, probably paid himself and his son a nice salary too for the privilege.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Unlikely BTID. For one thing such payments would be included in the accounts (they have to be by law) and for another where would the money have come from? It's pretty clear to everyone that the club was in a massive hole before Ken took over and (in my opinion) he tried to fill it in by cutting costs and some morally questionable late payments but there's no evidence at all to suggest he took money OUT of the club for his own or his son's personal benefit be it as a salary or consultancy fee or anything else for that matter. In fact it seems to me that people want a pop at him because they need SOMEONE to blame for the situation we're now in and he's an easy target. How Dean Holdsworth has escaped this approbation despite leaving th club much worse than he found it with a million quid of the club's money in his pocket to boot mystifies me.

The truth is Ken made some bad decisions but his back has been to the wall since the day Dean jumped ship and the mess predated that too. If anything it goes all the way back to the Big Sam era and the farcical mess that followed his exit. When Eddie Davies decided to pull the plug the writing was on the wall from that moment on. Frankly I believe Ken did well to stave off admin for as long as he did. No, that isn't me saying he's entirely blameless or everything he did was right but most of his decisions were reasonable in my opinion given what we actually know about the circumstances at the time they were made.

Now as to John McGinlay. As a player he's a Legend, rightly so. As a person, he's a plank. Just look how quick he was to endorse the ST despite its shenanigans. Frankly SJM should honestly think much harder before going on the record about anything. I'm afraid I've lost a great deal of respect for the man since he seems content to follow the ST model of sniping from the outside while doing not one single thing to help and without offering a single piece of constructive criticism. In other words I wish John would shut up until and unless he has something intelligent to offer.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

:facepalm:

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I saw SJM as the voice of the vast majority of fans. We needed someone to spearhead the protests and rally the fans, he was that man.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Exactly. If you can't see that Super John is a figurehead for the fans you've completely lost touch with BWFC.

Growler

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Natasha Whittam wrote:Exactly. If you can't see that Super John is a figurehead for the fans you've completely lost touch with BWFC.

Claiming Tony Kelly is of equal status among Bolton fans as McGinlay would confirm this.
There are a few fond memories of Kelly's midfield contributions but he was not club royalty to have tattooed on your leg like McGinlay was
I see one of McgInlay's strike partners Nathan Blake was talking sense, questioning why a club with Bolton's support base was in such a poor state

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Parky due on the Jim White show on talkSPORT at some time this morning.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum