Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"Very hard to turn down" - Swindon boss on Eoin Doyle's decision to join Bolton

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Swindon boss Richie Wellens is “surprised” that Wanderers have not unveiled Eoin Doyle as a new signing after admitting defeat in trying to keep hold of the Irish striker.

Despite offering him an improved contract to stay at the County Ground after promotion to League One, Bolton are understood to have agreed a deal which could extend to three years with the 32-year-old.

Doyle scored 23 goals in 23 games for Swindon after moving from Bradford, initially on loan.

Wellens wished the striker well and admitted the offer from Wanderers would have been difficult to turn down.

"The money Bolton are throwing around for a player of his age, and a three-year deal at that, we couldn't get to that," Wellens told BBC Radio Wiltshire.

"I believe Doyley's had a medical at Bolton, In fact, I'm surprised they've not released it yet.

"We're moving up a level and it looks like a parting of the ways. And we wish him well. He's been fantastic for this club. He's done great for us, just as we've done great for him. He suited the way we played.

"But, when you get to Eoin's age and a three-year deal is put in your lap, it's very hard to turn down. The last time he played in League One, he got relegated."

Wellens - who was among the bookies' favourites during Wanderers' hunt for a new boss - also aimed a broadside at the club for paying out money to bring in their top target, Ian Evatt.

“How are they furloughing the players, not paying the bills, and then paying compensation for the manager?"

Source

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

That comes across as bitchy but it's a fair point about the money. I do hope we're not straying down the wrong path again.

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

FV can't win people who knew nothing about them said they didn't have a pot to piss in, They have done everything so far in a very professional way, if they do have funds and it's within our budget happy days.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Fwiw I don't believe they have furloughed players - staff yes (Hill, Lee, Philips, etc) but players - no.

Also there doesn't seem to be anyone banging on the door for unpaid bills - EDT and the Administrator are the obvious two and both seem to have entered deals for repayment and secured assets against any failure of default.

Finally it's difficult to know the exacting financing taking place with this embargo and possible wage capping, plus no income or fans because of the virus but certainly there is plenty personal money behind Sharon and James and I think the rules are more relaxed in the fourth tier about how much loans/equity can put into the club - so I can't see it being any problem them finding the money for compensation for Evatt.

Tbf to Wellens, the bulk of our own supporters (I must add - including Iles) don't have the foggiest about how the club is financed so why they they are having a pop at him for the same thing is a bit ironic I find!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum