Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Soccer Saturday

+7
Sluffy
Norpig
okocha
gloswhite
finlaymcdanger
Hip Priest
Natasha Whittam
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Soccer Saturday Empty Soccer Saturday Wed Aug 26 2020, 21:16

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It appears Sky have decided to dispense with the services of Matt Le Tissier, Charlie Nicholas & Phil Thompson from the Saturday afternoon show. Jeff Stelling and Paul Merson have been retained.

A sad day for me, I've always enjoyed the show, the banter, the shouts when a goal is scored, and the rants when the ref fooks up.

I'm not sure the show can be the same without those three, I fear who Sky will bring in to replace them. It's a big no from me for Neil Mellor & Clinton Morrison who both fill in from time to time.

I'd like to see Micah Richards as I think he's been ace on Match of the Day, or Matt Murray who clearly doesn't take himself too seriously, but I fear it will be someone devoid of charisma.

Do you watch the show, will you miss the regulars?

2Soccer Saturday Empty Re: Soccer Saturday Wed Aug 26 2020, 21:25

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Shame they didn’t decide to let Jamie Carragher go instead.

3Soccer Saturday Empty Re: Soccer Saturday Wed Aug 26 2020, 21:44

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:It appears Sky have decided to dispense with the services of Matt Le Tissier, Charlie Nicholas & Phil Thompson from the Saturday afternoon show. Jeff Stelling and Paul Merson have been retained.

A sad day for me, I've always enjoyed the show, the banter, the shouts when a goal is scored, and the rants when the ref fooks up.

I'm not sure the show can be the same without those three, I fear who Sky will bring in to replace them. It's a big no from me for Neil Mellor & Clinton Morrison who both fill in from time to time.

I'd like to see Micah Richards as I think he's been ace on Match of the Day, or Matt Murray who clearly doesn't take himself too seriously, but I fear it will be someone devoid of charisma.

Do you watch the show, will you miss the regulars?
Morrison is a pain in the arse on talkSport.

4Soccer Saturday Empty Re: Soccer Saturday Thu Aug 27 2020, 00:29

Hip Priest

Hip Priest
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Kammy and Keano would keep things ticking over nicely.

5Soccer Saturday Empty Re: Soccer Saturday Thu Aug 27 2020, 04:40

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Stelling being wound down over the next season with Neville and Carragher to take over

6Soccer Saturday Empty Re: Soccer Saturday Thu Aug 27 2020, 08:10

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Seems like a box ticking decision to me which is sad as i enjoyed watching them over the years.  

You can bet they will bring in someone like Sue Smith who i don't mind to be honest as she knows her football but the banter won't be the same. It seems to me that they are doing this just to show they are inclusive as an all white and male panel is not acceptable these days.

7Soccer Saturday Empty Re: Soccer Saturday Thu Aug 27 2020, 09:24

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I'm glad Thompson and Nicholas have gone. A pair of arsoles who loved the sound of their own voices.
Even i could have put up with them if they had got rid of Carragher instead though. He's a grade 1 ring-piece.

8Soccer Saturday Empty Re: Soccer Saturday Thu Aug 27 2020, 10:42

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Agree with most of the above, especially the comments about Carragher and Thompson, but I think Jeff Stelling would be missed. Le Tiss is sound enough.

9Soccer Saturday Empty Re: Soccer Saturday Thu Aug 27 2020, 10:53

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Who would you like to see replace them? Micah Richards would be good as Nat mentioned but who else?

They are bound to have a woman on as well so it will be Sue Smith so that leaves one more seat to fill.

10Soccer Saturday Empty Re: Soccer Saturday Thu Aug 27 2020, 10:59

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Big Sam's not got much to do these days.

11Soccer Saturday Empty Re: Soccer Saturday Thu Aug 27 2020, 11:23

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

God forbid they choose bumbling Ian Dowie! 

Essentials: articulacy, wit, charisma, football knowledge, unflappability = zero candidates!

12Soccer Saturday Empty Re: Soccer Saturday Thu Aug 27 2020, 11:28

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

This fella will be ideal

13Soccer Saturday Empty Re: Soccer Saturday Thu Aug 27 2020, 13:28

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

okocha wrote:God forbid they choose bumbling Ian Dowie! 

Essentials: articulacy, wit, charisma, football knowledge, unflappability = zero candidates!
Apart from Stelling none of the current presenters meet those criteria - in fact half the pleasure of the show is based on the cock-ups they make as they struggle to respond to real time events. I think it would be a mistake if it was professionalised as it would run the risk of becoming cold and factual with little entertainment factor.

14Soccer Saturday Empty Re: Soccer Saturday Thu Aug 27 2020, 14:35

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

True....but the trouble is Sky are cost-cutting, so that rules out a big name or someone already in worthwhile employment, like big Wanderers fan, Paddy McGuinness, or Alastair McGowan.

Steve Claridge might fit the bill but he's currently managing Salisbury FC (unless the Russians have already bumped him off along with the Skripals.)

Big longshot but certainly would add humour and charisma if he's not too busy=Ally McCoist? Smile

Cue cries of "Get real, Okocha!"

15Soccer Saturday Empty Re: Soccer Saturday Thu Aug 27 2020, 15:11

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Good idea Okocha but he's too white and too male for the new panel.

16Soccer Saturday Empty Re: Soccer Saturday Thu Aug 27 2020, 16:18

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Actually, I'm not that bothered.

17Soccer Saturday Empty Re: Soccer Saturday Thu Aug 27 2020, 19:11

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Norpig wrote:Good idea Okocha but he's too white and too male for the new panel.

18Soccer Saturday Empty Re: Soccer Saturday Thu Aug 27 2020, 22:52

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

You're right Wrighty. Loads of folk get replaced in all kinds of businesses all the time as new brooms arrive, and SKY are "refreshing" - or whatever you want to call it - their show.
Plus the ethnicity of the new folk isn't yet known.

If nutters are going to have conspiracy theories then perhaps they should have statistically likelier ones? E.g. they might consider that whilst currently, 19.5% of our population are "not White British" - and therefore arguably should have 19.5% representation - a whopping 50% of us are women so it's far more likely to be a feminist bid for world domination. Or equality.

19Soccer Saturday Empty Re: Soccer Saturday Thu Aug 27 2020, 23:28

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The fact is it had become stale and 'matey'. I think talkSPORT has been going the same way for a long time.
Alan Brazil and Ray Parlour spend most of the morning talking about where they've been drinking, or where they'll be going drinking later. It's all very chummy and jobs for the boys, and it's a big turn off.
Shake up needed across the board.

20Soccer Saturday Empty Re: Soccer Saturday Fri Aug 28 2020, 00:57

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm surprised Alan Brazil is still alive. He always seems to be pissed. Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum