Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bradford striker Clayton Donaldson recalls bad times at Bolton Wanderers

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Clayton Donaldson is delighted to see Bolton Wanderers Football Club is finally being shown some love by its ownership.

The veteran striker spent 12 tough months with the Whites at the height of their financial problems under Ken Anderson, a time of court cases, fan protests and unimaginable worries for staff.

While Donaldson’s playing career with Bolton didn’t fire – he scored just two goals in 34 appearances – he speaks highly of the people who worked with him at the club, if not those in the boardroom.

But after seeing Football Ventures take the reigns last summer and begin a slow rebuilding process, the 36-year-old is glad to see things are moving back in the right direction for his old club.

“I’m glad they’ve turned around now and got owners that actually care for the club and are putting money back into it,” he told the Telegraph and Argus.

“Bolton are a big club and it’s good to see they are back on track.”

Donaldson joined a Championship side which had survived by the skin of their teeth the previous season in 2017/18 but who sunk without a trace the following season after constant running battles between the squad and the owner.

The Bradford-born striker had never experienced anything like it in nearly two decades as a professional footballer.

“It was tough seeing everyone go through difficult times and people struggling. We didn’t get paid for five or six months,” he explained.

“Staff that had been there for years were struggling and they were bringing in food banks to the club.

“That was all going on and you were trying to focus on football – it was a very difficult time.

“I had team-mates there who were struggling mentally and that was a major thing.

“I’ve never been in that situation before. Everybody suffered, the players and the staff.

“It’s definitely a time where I look back now and think, ‘I wouldn’t wish that on anyone’.”

Source

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Clayton Donaldson wrote:I’m glad they’ve turned around now and got owners that actually care for the club and are putting money back into it.

Clayton should expect a 100 page letter from sluffy.

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Clayton should expect a 100 page letter from sluffy.

Very Happy

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Typical Iles. He just can't  stop stirring the pot. Mad

But why anyone of sound mind would expect Ken Anderson to be a Sugar Daddy to any  overpaid/washed-up has been escapes me entirely. ..dunno..

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum