Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The North

+5
karlypants
Norpig
Angry Dad
okocha
Cajunboy
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1The North Empty The North Sun Sep 06 2020, 14:39

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

It reminds me of my uncle Jack taking me to Mr Poorchance the corner butcher in Hanky Park Salford in 1959 to get his tapeworm removed. I sat on a wooden bench in the room behind the shop, it had pictures on the wall of wierd stuff like mechanical men and animals. It also had an old harmonium that his wife played while her husband worked on uncle Jack's worm. When he came out he had the worm in a jar and we went to the Brass Handles pub where he had his usual pint of mild and i had crisps and shandy and he showed off his worm to the regulars one of whom i remember as Nate reckoned his last one was much longer when put back together. All the people in there wore sparking clogs even the women. Not many cars about the rent collector had a Ford Pilot he was posh and talked funny.In the street would be the odd Ford Pop or battered old Hillman Minx and a very old forties Wolseley up on bricks with the wheels off so he didn't have to pay road tax. Long summer days digging out pitch with a Pendletons Twicer lolly stick from between the Setts and watching dogs fuck.

2The North Empty Re: The North Sun Sep 06 2020, 14:54

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Angry Dad wrote:It reminds me of my uncle Jack taking me to Mr Poorchance the corner butcher in Hanky Park Salford in 1959 to get his tapeworm removed. I sat on a wooden bench in the room behind the shop, it had pictures on the wall of wierd stuff like mechanical men and animals. It also had an old harmonium that his wife played while her husband worked on uncle Jack's worm. When he came out he had the worm in a jar and we went to the Brass Handles pub where he had his usual pint of mild and i had crisps and shandy and he showed off his worm to the regulars one of whom i remember as Nate reckoned his last one was much longer when put back together. All the people in there wore sparking clogs even the women. Not many cars about the rent collector had a Ford Pilot he was posh and talked funny.In the street would be the odd Ford Pop or battered old Hillman Minx and a very old forties Wolseley up on bricks with the wheels off so he didn't have to pay road tax. Long summer days digging out pitch with a Pendletons Twicer lolly stick from between the Setts and watching dogs fuck.
Charming.

3The North Empty Re: The North Sun Sep 06 2020, 15:47

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Cider with Rosie.

4The North Empty Re: The North Sun Sep 06 2020, 22:59

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

What reminds you AD? The north in general or is it a film or something ?

5The North Empty Re: The North Mon Sep 07 2020, 09:05

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

boltonbonce wrote:Cider with Rosie.
lol!   Quite a contrast from AD's portrait to Lawrie Lee's!

6The North Empty Re: The North Mon Sep 07 2020, 11:14

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

[quote="wanderlust"]What reminds you AD? The north in general or is it a film or something ?[/quote]
It is a boy's story of life in Hanky Park Pendleton Salford 6 in the late 50's early 60's facinating. I grew up near there and i knew what was left of it and it was better than what is there now.

7The North Empty Re: The North Mon Sep 07 2020, 11:17

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

There are stories online of Hanky Park, name comes from Hankinson Street it was a mass of slums but safe and no scum or drugs no money either.

8The North Empty Re: The North Mon Sep 07 2020, 11:18

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You might enjoy this AD.
The North 51gfb-t0zWL._SX348_BO1,204,203,200_

9The North Empty Re: The North Mon Sep 07 2020, 14:15

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Yes i have that Bonce, Clogger Bell's repairs and new Clogg's they wore clogg's well into the 60's the tough man's slipper.

10The North Empty Re: The North Mon Sep 07 2020, 14:29

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Angry Dad wrote:Yes i have that Bonce, Clogger Bell's repairs and new Clogg's they wore clogg's well into the 60's the tough man's slipper.
My grandad was a docker, and he wore them. You could hear him coming up the street well in advance. My grandparents lived in Eccles, and we visited every weekend, and I've heard many tales of Hanky Park.

11The North Empty Re: The North Wed Sep 09 2020, 15:20

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

12The North Empty Re: The North Thu Sep 10 2020, 09:24

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We had a rag and bone man who gave out donkey stones and some other bloke (can’t remember) who gave out bags of dolly blue. Lots of traders knocked on - a “fish man”, a pop man (we weren’t allowed) and a veg man but we rarely had meat other than cowheel and offal. We all hated the local barber (Froggy) who was always cutting our heads despite using a bowl.

13The North Empty Re: The North Thu Sep 10 2020, 09:36

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:We had a rag and bone man who gave out donkey stones and some other bloke (can’t remember) who gave out bags of dolly blue. Lots of traders knocked on - a “fish man”, a pop man (we weren’t allowed) and a veg man but we rarely had meat other than cowheel and offal. We all hated the local barber (Froggy) who was always cutting our heads despite using a bowl.
We had all those plus the Craigs Pantry van. Bread and cakes, delicious.

14The North Empty Re: The North Thu Sep 10 2020, 09:55

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:
We had all those plus the Craigs Pantry van. Bread and cakes, delicious.
You bought cakes? Wow. We had to put up with my mum’s baking efforts. Tbf she was a trier.
Presume you didn’t have to endure Froggy’s high chair of torture just waiting for the moment when he stabbed you in the head with the scissors or cut your ear which he always did. And then apologised to everyone but you. Don’t think I ever left his shop not bleeding.

15The North Empty Re: The North Thu Sep 10 2020, 10:24

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Mum cut our hair until we were old enough to fight back. Haircut day was a day of ritual humiliation, and I still have nightmares about it.
For the first fifteen years of my life I looked like Blackadder.

The North 340?cb=20090606040531

16The North Empty Re: The North Thu Sep 10 2020, 10:30

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Did anyone go to Nev's on Church Road for a haircut? He passed away recently and i have a lot of memories of his shop and his love of bikes. He nicked me a few times i remember  Very Happy

17The North Empty Re: The North Thu Sep 10 2020, 11:46

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:Did anyone go to Nev's on Church Road for a haircut? He passed away recently and i have a lot of memories of his shop and his love of bikes. He nicked me a few times i remember  Very Happy

The North 11517374

There's an article here on his sudden death in June.

18The North Empty Re: The North Thu Sep 10 2020, 12:03

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Never cut my hair but I remember him from the LRC. Didn’t ride with him often as I was young (10) and had to go out with the slow group (wrinklies) but saw him every year at the Xmas dinner dance at Rivi barn

19The North Empty Re: The North Thu Sep 10 2020, 12:07

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Missus just pointed out my flies were down and I said “you mean I’ve got egg on my chin?”
She’d never heard the expression. So I had a look on urban dictionary and it said it was a local expression used in Cork.
I thought everyone used it. Anyone else?

20The North Empty Re: The North Thu Sep 10 2020, 12:20

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Yes, I've heard it before.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum