Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is anybody worried about religious extremism in the UK?

+7
boltonbonce
y2johnny
Norpig
sunlight
Natasha Whittam
wanderlust
doffcocker
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Depsite that we're going through a period in human history where any claim of a god like figure should seem more futile than ever, public atrocities in the name of religion have started to creep back across Europe.

Earlier tonight, another set of thick fucks have gone about a major city centre (Vienna) with guns resulting in at least one death. As I type this, it hasn't officially been confirmed as religious extremism, but there have been at least a couple now in the space of a month so let's assume for arguments sake that it is.

I have worked in Manchester City Centre for almost three years. In that time, there have been several instances where shit has gone down, i.e. a person has attacked random shoppers, suspicious packages have been investigated, buildings have been evacuated because Police have good reason to suspect a person plotting something or other. In each case it basically got tidied up by the police, nobody died, and there was very little news coverage apart from that old "arrested and sectioned under the mental health act" chestnut.

For a good while, I was wondering is it only a matter of time before there's another May 22nd or something even worse. Then along came Covid, and it seemed like the world was ending anyway so why would anybody go to the trouble, but clearly there are people still out there who are into this shit.

And even though the virus is killing mass amounts more people than this level of terrorism is ever going to, I can't help finding this scarier. I would be devastated if anyone close to me contracted Covid-19 and died as a result, but I could at least console myself on the basis that viruses are a part of daily life that we have to accept as much as we try to avoid or eradicate. A random killing at the hands of a religious nutjob though is something I'm not sure I'd ever get over. 

But what I'm interested to know is how comfortable do we generally feel that the UK is relatively safe from all this for the moment? Maybe people are sure it's just round the corner but with everything else going on, it's just a minor concern in the back of everyone's mind?

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I have a conspiracy theory that extreme Christians have hijacked power and are controlling our thoughts but I just can't prove it yet.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

All religious extremism is bad.

What makes it worse is when some governments encourage it.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm aware of it, but don't worry about it.

If I worried about everything that could harm me I'd never leave the house.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think it's just a fact of life now and something we are going to have to live with. Even with the likes of ISIS and Al Queda being more underground now it does seem to have ramped up again with the Danish cartoons being back in the news again.

More needs to be done to tackle the grooming and recruiting of people online and through social media but it's a massive job and all the big players involved such as Google need to be doing more.

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

This Vienna attack last night. My thoughts were, why are they attacking Austria? Whats the reason? Has Austria done something to them? Anyone know why they are attacking Austria?
Is there something I am missing?

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Any Western country is fair game to these extremists, they don't care.

y2johnny

y2johnny
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Norpig wrote:Any Western country is fair game to these extremists, they don't care.
Get back to work

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

y2johnny wrote:
Get back to work
My spy says he's not in work. Cool

y2johnny

y2johnny
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

boltonbonce wrote:
My spy says he's not in work. Cool
I am, on my 20 minute break of an 11 hour shift, hope thats OK m'lud

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bastards  Very Happy

i'm actually off work, i had major case of the shits yesterday and have to stay off for 48 hours after my last loose stool (too much information i know)

y2johnny

y2johnny
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Norpig wrote:the shits
There's a band name for someone

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

y2johnny wrote:
I am, on my 20 minute break of an 11 hour shift, hope thats OK m'lud
20 minutes doesn't seem much. 11 hour shifts aren't fun, having done more than a few myself. Keep up the good work though Johnny.  :like:

Sorry about the shits Mr Pig. I'm sure they'll play better tonight. Very Happy

y2johnny

y2johnny
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

boltonbonce wrote:
20 minutes doesn't seem much. 11 hour shifts aren't fun, having done more than a few myself. Keep up the good work though Johnny.  :like:

Sorry about the shits Mr Pig. I'm sure they'll play better tonight. Very Happy
Its through choice so I can try and get through as many of the staff as possible.  Same again in Liverpool tomorrow and then back here Thursday.  All good though.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Someone told me those masks are painful to wear for long periods.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Good work Johnny, you must be snowed under at the moment and it will only get busier with the next wave of Covid right around the corner.

y2johnny

y2johnny
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

boltonbonce wrote:Someone told me those masks are painful to wear for long periods.
If worm incorrectly, which a lot have been doing before I turned up.

They still arent the most pleasant things to be stuck in all day but rather that than the consequences of not wearing one

y2johnny

y2johnny
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Norpig wrote:Good work Johnny, you must be snowed under at the moment and it will only get busier with the next wave of Covid right around the corner.
Problem is, as I'm sure you are aware, they keep running out of one type and having to replace it with another hence starting the testing all over again.

I've seen the same people 4 or 5 times now.

::seething2::

y2johnny

y2johnny
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

So Nat doesn't tell me off, any religion is bad in my opinion.

Made up to fairy tales to create wars, fractions and control people.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

y2johnny wrote:So Nat doesn't tell me off, any religion is bad in my opinion.

Made up to fairy tales to create wars, fractions and control people.
Don't get me started on religion.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum