Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Leyton Orient visit means revenge is on Bolton manager's mind

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Leyton Orient visit means revenge is on Bolton manager's mind 11984163

Consistency. It's what every football manager craves. But this season - more than most - it seems increasingly elusive.

The pandemic effect is the most likely cause - teams and players still struggling with playing in empty grounds, missing the reactions of fans that can swing games in their favour and make life less comfortable for the opposition.

Then there is an already congested campaign getting even more crammed because of Covid postponements, and now the weather, as Bolton Wanderers discovered earlier this week with Mansfield's pitch deemed too frozen for football.

Injuries are mounting up, impacting on consistency in selection and having a knock-on effect.

Travelling to away games is not as straightforward as before because of mask-wearing, social distancing and the use of hotel facilities restricted on overnight stays.

There are umpteen factors affecting form.

"I'd like to play away and they'd probably like to play at home again to be honest, but that's the way it's going for us," noted Evatt on his own side's struggles.

"We have been playing okay and better at home of late, definitely, but the results haven't been there. As I've said many times we need to start getting our home form to click into gear and try to get all three points.

"I think you've seen from every division consistency is key and the teams that are the most consistent in this crazy time have been the ones having success. But I think a stark reminder to everybody was Manchester United's result (losing at home to Sheffield United on Wednesday) that anything can happen in football and you should never rest on your laurels. Everybody seems to have the opportunity to beat everybody."

Wanderers have not won at home this calendar year and only three times in League Two all season.

It's a situation Evatt is keen to correct. And being on the wrong end of a 4-0 scoreline the last time these teams met offers another incentive.

"They beat us heavily down there and that still pains me, so we owe them one and we’ll be going into Saturday knowing that we want to avenge that horrible day at Leyton Orient earlier this season," said the Bolton boss.

Leyton Orient visit means revenge is on Bolton manager's mind 12269679

Leyton Orient are among the teams pushing for the top seven but have struggled to put a run of results together.

“I think the whole league’s still challenging for the top seven to be honest. It’s crazy. As far as Leyton Orient go, they’re a good team," Evatt continued.

"They are doing better than us at the moment but I've still got a bitter taste in my mouth from that defeat down there earlier in the season and hopefully we'll go and avenge it on Saturday."

With the postponed Mansfield game hastily rearranged for Tuesday, tomorrow's visit of The O's starts a run where between now and March 13 there is only one week without a midweek game.

But although it will be hectic, it is a period that Evatt is relishing.

“To be honest, I’m looking forward to playing. I want to play as much as possible because even though the results haven’t been there, I do think we’re starting to get better," he said.

"It’s a gradual process and slower than what I would have liked. But I do feel like we’re starting to get better and starting to dictate games more.

"We have to cut out silly mistakes and we have to make sure we take our chances, but the more often we play, I believe in this system, the better we’ll get, and with one or two additions hopefully joining us before the end of Monday, we’ll have a good chance to finish the season strongly.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum