Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is trouble boiling for Wanderers after ref appointment for Stevenage clash?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Considering the week Wanderers have had with officials, the confirmation of Rutland ref Trevor Kettle for Saturday’s game against Stevenage might well have prompted a few puffed cheeks at the UniBol.

The 54-year-old whistle-blower has only presided over one Bolton game in the last four years – a relatively uneventful 2-0 win at Bristol Rovers last season, which supplied former boss Keith Hill with his first three points in the job.

On that occasion, Luke Murphy was the only player to receive a caution, and everyone went home happy.

But those with a longer memory may remember Kettle at the centre of more controversial events, and in the five other games he has presided over involving Bolton, he has reached for his red card four times.

The stormiest 90 minutes was undoubtedly a 3-2 defeat at Charlton Athletic in April 2013, which cost Dougie Freedman’s side some valuable ground in their pursuit of Premier League promotion.

Sam Ricketts and Craig Davies were ordered off as Bolton blew a two-goal lead at The Valley, leaving manager Freedman steaming.

“£100million is at stake – there are players in there who have got their futures and their careers at stake,” he complained. “It’s not his fault, the £30,000 he gets to train has got to be looked at.

“I can’t criticise referees because he’s probably had a long 12-hour shift yesterday.

“The first yellow card for Sam is not right and the second yellow card for Craig is not right.

“I’ll probably need to go to sleep before I give my true comment because it’s a semi-professional attitude towards refereeing again.”

In September 2016, Phil Parkinson’s blood was boiling after substitute Keshi Anderson was handed a second yellow card for running on to the pitch too early to replace Chris Taylor at Walsall.

“I think in general it was a poor performance but you saw the game – I’ll leave it to you to comment on that,” Parkinson said of Kettle’s day.

“For Keshi Anderson to end up sent off is one of the most ridiculous decisions you are every likely to see. The fourth official has pushed him on to the pitch and I’m saying ‘no, hang on, Chris (Taylor) hasn’t come off yet. Common sense has surely then got to prevail with the second yellow card… but obviously not.”

There were few complaints from Bolton boss Neil Lennon in September 2015 when a late red for Derik Osede capped off a dreadful day at Huddersfield, with the Whites comprehensively beaten 4-1 on the afternoon.

The Spanish defender was booked for a tired challenge, earning a second yellow from referee Kettle.

Wanderers did manage to get through an FA Cup first round game against Grimsby Town with a full quota of players in November 2016, although Andy Taylor and Jamie Proctor picked up yellow cards.

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum