Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Nigel Clough says Bolton scored 'scrappy' & 'fluke' goals in win

+2
Sluffy
karlypants
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Nigel Clough complained that Bolton Wanderers escaped from Field Mill with three points thanks to a “fluke” and a “scrappy own goal”.

The Mansfield boss watched his side blow a two-goal lead with 11 minutes left on the clock with Declan John’s cross-shot and Arthur Gnahoua’s perfectly placed effort arriving either side of an unfortunate Mal Benning own goal.

Speaking after the final whistle, Clough moaned: "We know exactly why we didn't win the game. They've scored a fluke and a scrappy own goal off Mal Benning's knee, which has got them back into a game which they were never in in the second half.

"You can't legislate for somebody putting a cross in that's flown in the top corner."

Clough was also annoyed that referee Antony Coggins did not award the Stags a first half penalty when Stephen Quinn went down under a covering tackle from Marcus Maddison.

"I thought there was two turning points," Clough said. "The penalty in the first half was absolutely stonewall on Stephen Quinn and that gives us a good start in the game.

"I'm puzzled why that wasn't given. And then obviously the fluke that got them back into the game.

"All of a sudden their tails are up and they've got a lifeline they didn't deserve.

"You can't control those things. All we can do is control our performance and there was lots of things that was good tonight."

After the final whistle there were some ugly scenes between the two groups of players as emotions ran high.

A few of the Mansfield players appeared to confront Bolton keeper Matt Gilks, whose mistake had led to first goal of the evening.

Asked for his view, Wanderers boss Ian Evatt said: “I think a couple of their players were giving him a bit of stick about the mistake but when they’ve played in the Premier League and had the career that Matt has, maybe they can say something, but for now I’d suggest they keep their mouth shut.”

Source

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bitter.

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Does this mean we didn't get 3 points? If we did, Nige can feel free to bugger off.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm just off to Tesco do you want me to pick you up some sour grapes Nigel?

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

He's always been a miserable bastard.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum