Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ian Evatt delighted Walsall did not 'spoil' his afternoon

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ian Evatt hopes League Two refs will wise-up to ‘spoiling’ tactics on the rise in the game.

The Bolton boss praised Saturday’s official Sebastien Stocksbridge for getting the big calls right in his side’s 2-1 win against Walsall.

But Evatt reckons there were some dark arts at work within the visiting team, who also had Cameron Norman booked late in the game for simulation after looking for a late penalty.

“I think we could probably do with being a bit more street smart,” Evatt said of his own team. “Sometimes they’re inviting contact to purely feel some sort of contact and then buy fouls, win free kicks.

“Teams, with no disrespect to them (Walsall), know that they could probably hurt us from set plays, long throws, playing for territory from set pieces and corners.

“If they win free kicks and fouls high up the pitch it gives them an opportunity to score. But I just think as officials, we just need to be a bit smarter and a bit clearer and concise as to what’s a foul and what’s not. The referee did a good job today, though, I can’t really have too many complaints.”

Walsall boss Brian Dutton said after the game that he did not get a clear view of Norman’s penalty claim in injury time, which would have given the Saddlers a chance to equalise from the spot.

The appeal from the visiting bench was vociferous, however, and Evatt believes ref Stocksbridge did well not to allow himself to be swayed.

“Obviously we’re all humans and officials are humans and if you hear someone scream and fall to the floor, your initial reaction is to put the whistle to your mouth, it’s human nature,” he said.

“But then sometimes I just feel like we need to give ourselves a little bit more time and make a clearer and better decision. As I said, Walsall came here with clear tactics today, tried to spoil the game as much as possible, kill time, play for territory, but I’m delighted for my players that they found a way to win.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum