Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Euros 2020 - in 2021

+16
terenceanne
Hip Priest
Cajunboy
wessy
Growler
Ten Bobsworth
boltonbonce
karlypants
finlaymcdanger
gloswhite
Sluffy
BoltonTillIDie
okocha
Natasha Whittam
Norpig
wanderlust
20 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 14]

1Euros 2020 - in 2021 Empty Euros 2020 - in 2021 Tue May 11 2021, 11:25

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Just a month to go before England throw us back into the emotional roller coaster of international competition. Fortunately the pubs should be open so the traditional pain-fest can be anaesthetised with alcohol and banter.

Tough group for England (WR 4) IMO but it could be worse and the group stage will be played in the UK so 3 home games in London.

First up our nemesis Croatia (WR 14) with Modric, Kovacic, Lovren and Perisic etc who have been less than impressive recently but tend to turn up in competitions. They have a friendly with the mighty Belgians a week before the competition starts so we'll get a gauge then.
Big expectation on England, no idea what team Southgate will pick, and if the usual pattern occurs - a disappointing draw.

Five days later it's Scotland (WR 44) mainly no frills Prem players who will know the England team inside out. They're mainly seasoned pros and a tough lot quite capable of upsetting the English prima donnas on their day and there'll be no doubting their commitment.

Four days after that it's the Czech Republic (WR 40) I don't know much about their squad apart from Soucek, Coufal who've done pretty well at West Ham this year and Vidra but their performances have been weird recently - battered Estonia scoring six, drew 1 -1 with Belgium, lost to Wales by the odd goal. Proper banana skin but we'll see how they go in their upcoming friendly with Italy.

If we win the group, we get another home game in London but it's likely to be a  much more challenging contest against the runners up in the hardest group - probably Germany, Portugal or France.

It could be argued that the easier route to the QFs would be to come second in the group and travel to Copenhagen and play either Sweden at what will be almost their home or Spain (probably) - but we have to play them all eventually to win it so bollocks to that - bring on the Germans!

Euros 2020 - in 2021 540293217

2Euros 2020 - in 2021 Empty Re: Euros 2020 - in 2021 Tue May 11 2021, 11:54

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It will be same old England, they'll flatter to deceive and stumble into at the quarters and then get beaten by the first really decent team they play. 

It will be interesting on whether Southgate goes back to a back 3 or stays with the back 4 they've played recently. We seem to have loads of decent full backs on either side but we look weak at CB with only Maguire and Stones really. I wouldn't be starting with Sterling either as he has been bang average this season and doesn't deserve a starting place.

3Euros 2020 - in 2021 Empty Re: Euros 2020 - in 2021 Tue May 11 2021, 12:09

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

England have the players to win this tournament, but with Southgate in charge we have no chance. He is way, way too cautious and keeps picking Eric Dier. And what sort of bellend would leave Alexander-Arnold out of the team, the best attacking right back in the world.

Pickford, Alexander-Arnold, Maguire, Stones, Chilwell, Henderson, Foden, Grealish (if fit), Kane, Mount, Rashford sounds like a team that could beat the best, and that's before you mention Sako, Sancho, Rice, James, Greenwood etc who could all figure.

But it will be caution all the way no doubt. With Dier in defence.

4Euros 2020 - in 2021 Empty Re: Euros 2020 - in 2021 Tue May 11 2021, 14:46

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I hope Coady gets a starting spot. He's in his prime, strong, mobile, can play a bit and reads the game really well. If pushed I'd probably pick him ahead of McGuire who gets an easier time of things at Manure than Coady does at Wolves. I'd pick Stones if only because I want him to have a good tournament where he doesn't balls it up. The other CB option Mings started the season like superman and went downhill from there.

Nat can relax. Dier didn't make the final 26.

PS: Sorry Nat but neither did Alexander-Arnold. Here's the squad. (Although that's just the Telegraph's prediction)

Last edited by wanderlust on Tue May 11 2021, 14:53; edited 1 time in total

5Euros 2020 - in 2021 Empty Re: Euros 2020 - in 2021 Tue May 11 2021, 14:50

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:Nat can relax. Dier didn't make the final 26.

Unless you're Gareth Southgate you can't know that as I don't believe the squad has been announced.

6Euros 2020 - in 2021 Empty Re: Euros 2020 - in 2021 Tue May 11 2021, 14:54

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Unless you're Gareth Southgate you can't know that as I don't believe the squad has been announced.
If Dier is in it, I'll buy you a pint.

7Euros 2020 - in 2021 Empty Re: Euros 2020 - in 2021 Tue May 11 2021, 14:58

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:If Dier is in it, I'll buy you a pint.

He'll be in.

A pint of Pepsi please.

8Euros 2020 - in 2021 Empty Re: Euros 2020 - in 2021 Tue May 11 2021, 14:59

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:

He'll be in.

A pint of Pepsi please.
Hang on....I get to select the liquid.

9Euros 2020 - in 2021 Empty Re: Euros 2020 - in 2021 Sun Jun 06 2021, 17:10

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Not seeing much of Dier. Or Alexander-Arnold now unfortunately.
Ward-Prowse to be added rather than Lingard to be added to the squad.

10Euros 2020 - in 2021 Empty Re: Euros 2020 - in 2021 Sun Jun 06 2021, 23:26

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Unimpressive England win against Romania but it will be interesting to see what team starts against Croatia on Sunday.
The World Cup finalists have slipped down the rankings to 14th but they're a tournament team as we found out in the semi finals 3 years ago. Still we should win.

11Euros 2020 - in 2021 Empty Re: Euros 2020 - in 2021 Mon Jun 07 2021, 08:18

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

CB is a big worry for England now. We used to have loads of quality CB's but now with Maguire looking unlikely to play we have to rely on the likes of Mings and Coady who to me are not international class.

12Euros 2020 - in 2021 Empty Re: Euros 2020 - in 2021 Thu Jun 10 2021, 20:33

Excited now. If Maguire isn’t fit I want to see 3 CBS with Shaw and Trippier playing wing back, Bellingham and Rice in midfield and Grealish, Kane and Sancho up top. 

No idea if they’d blend, but plenty of option off the bench. 

Busy Saturday but I’ll be watching Italy Turkey Friday, Italy in great form but not their best team on paper - Turkey have their best side in years 34 year old Burak Yilmaz up front just led Lille to the league title. 

6 weeks of non stop football, lovely.

13Euros 2020 - in 2021 Empty Re: Euros 2020 - in 2021 Thu Jun 10 2021, 23:40

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

T.R.O.Y. wrote:Excited now. If Maguire isn’t fit I want to see 3 CBS with Shaw and Trippier playing wing back, Bellingham and Rice in midfield and Grealish, Kane and Sancho up top. 

No idea if they’d blend, but plenty of option off the bench. 

Busy Saturday but I’ll be watching Italy Turkey Friday, Italy in great form but not their best team on paper - Turkey have their best side in years 34 year old Burak Yilmaz up front just led Lille to the league title. 

6 weeks of non stop football, lovely.
For England there's so much talent to choose from especially in the forward positions I'm personally confused as to how to go about it. So many permutations to consider.
I'd start Foden,Kane, Grealish, Mount, Henderson and Rice in front of a 4 but it has issues if we don;t score every 5 minutes.
Tricky one.

14Euros 2020 - in 2021 Empty Re: Euros 2020 - in 2021 Fri Jun 11 2021, 08:33

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I don't see the logic of going to a back 3 just because we don't have Maguire? The back ups are just not international class to me but i have a feeling Southgate will go that way as he can be too negative at times.

I would stick with a back 4 and would have the rest of the team as Lusty says above.

15Euros 2020 - in 2021 Empty Re: Euros 2020 - in 2021 Fri Jun 11 2021, 10:46

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Who's going to win it? Apart from the obvious favourites France, anyone have a sneaky feeling someone else can do it? Roy Keane has gone for Italy which is a decent shout as they've been in good form but if they're not convincing against Turkey tonight they might just crumble. And Turkey have some good players so a shock isn't out of the question. Belgium without Van Dyke at the back? Germany who always seem to turn up at tournaments? Portugal? Spain? World Cup finalists Croatia?
I'd love to say England but we've been down this road of showcasing young talent so many times before and it has never worked but I live in hope.

16Euros 2020 - in 2021 Empty Re: Euros 2020 - in 2021 Fri Jun 11 2021, 10:54

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

How about letting the tournament go ahead to its conclusion, but refuse to allow the trophy to be awarded to any team whose fans are clearly seen to be indulging in racism or violence? 

Let TV do its job of highlighting and providing evidence of such behaviour. Would that work or am I being naive?

17Euros 2020 - in 2021 Empty Re: Euros 2020 - in 2021 Fri Jun 11 2021, 13:22

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:Who's going to win it? Apart from the obvious favourites France, anyone have a sneaky feeling someone else can do it? Roy Keane has gone for Italy which is a decent shout as they've been in good form but if they're not convincing against Turkey tonight they might just crumble. And Turkey have some good players so a shock isn't out of the question. Belgium without Van Dyke at the back? Germany who always seem to turn up at tournaments? Portugal? Spain? World Cup finalists Croatia?
I'd love to say England but we've been down this road of showcasing young talent so many times before and it has never worked but I live in hope.
Belgium without Van Dijk? He's Dutch mate  Very Happy

Id go for Italy as a dark horse as well looking at their form recently.

18Euros 2020 - in 2021 Empty Re: Euros 2020 - in 2021 Fri Jun 11 2021, 16:11

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

England for me Wink

19Euros 2020 - in 2021 Empty Re: Euros 2020 - in 2021 Fri Jun 11 2021, 16:25

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Virgil van Dijk's Belgium for me!

:rofl:

20Euros 2020 - in 2021 Empty Re: Euros 2020 - in 2021 Fri Jun 11 2021, 19:24

wanderlust wrote:
For England there's so much talent to choose from especially in the forward positions I'm personally confused as to how to go about it. So many permutations to consider.
I'd start Foden,Kane, Grealish, Mount, Henderson and Rice in front of a 4 but it has issues if we don;t score every 5 minutes.
Tricky one.

Can’t believe I forgot about Mount, has to play!  Goes to show how many great players we have though.

Agree we have issues at the back but there hasn’t been a more exciting side in my lifetime.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 14]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum