Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Former Wanderers Star STOPS Taking the Knee!

+2
boltonbonce
Sluffy
6 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Marcos Alonso to point to No To Racism badge rather than take a knee

Alonso has joined Wilfried Zaha in choosing to stop taking a knee.

Chelsea defender Marcos Alonso has stopped taking a knee before matches as he thinks the anti-racism gesture is "losing a bit of strength".

Instead, the 30-year-old Spaniard says he prefers to stand and point to the No To Racism badge on his shirt sleeve.

Crystal Palace winger Wilfried Zaha was the first Premier League player to stop taking a knee.

"I am fully against racism and I'm against every type of discrimination," said Alonso.

"I just prefer to put my finger to the badge where it says No To Racism, like they do in some other sports and football in other countries.

"I prefer to do it this way and, of course, to say very clearly that I am against racism and I respect everybody."

Players began taking the knee in solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement after the Premier League's 100-day hiatus because of the coronavirus pandemic in June 2020.

Prior to the start of the current top-flight season, players from all 20 Premier League clubs said they would continue to take the knee as a symbol of their "unity against all forms of racism".

However, Zaha said earlier this year that players "should stand tall", and reiterated his view that taking the knee was "degrading".

On pointing to the No To Racism badge rather than take a knee, Alonso added: "I just prefer to do it this way. It's my way to do it, and maybe I think it's losing a bit of strength the other way.

"So I just prefer to do it this way and to show I am fully supportive of fighting against racism.

"For now, I prefer to point to the sleeve and that's what I will do."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

That's their choice. There's no problem. What am I missing? Nothing to see here.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

boltonbonce wrote:That's their choice. There's no problem. What am I missing? Nothing to see here.

Quite a bit I would say...

Players began taking the knee in solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement

I think it's losing a bit of strength.

"I just prefer to put my finger to the badge where it says No To Racism, like they do in some other sports and football in other countries.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Kneeling or pointing at badges will have very little impact on the racists amongst us. But if people want to make a statement, by all means go ahead. It takes ten seconds, and I really can't understand people getting their knickers in a twist over it.
To hear some people talk, the players have turned into a modern iteration of the Tooting Popular Front.
It's just a personal choice. I never stand for the National Anthem. Will it bring down the monarchy? No.
But I still do it. No one bothers.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Players began taking the knee in solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement

Black Lives Matter UK registers as a community benefit society after raising £1.2m

Black Lives Matter UK (BLM UK) has registered as a community benefit society which will aim to tackle racism and white supremacy in the UK, organisers have said.

The movement raised more than £1.2m on GoFundMe on the back of the Black Lives Matter protests that started at the end of May.

Questions around the organisation’s transparency were repeatedly raised on Twitter. BLM UK said in June: “Amongst calls for transparency and demands to reveal the leadership behind BLM UK, we are currently dealing with emergency legal matters following last week’s protests in addition to the hostility of far-right groups.

It [BLM UK]also said it was not going to be able to register as a charity because of the political nature of its work.

UKBLM FUND

Who we are.

Black Lives Matter UK (BLMUK) is a coalition of black activists and organisers across the UK. We’ve been organising since 2016 for justice in our communities.

We’re guided by a commitment to dismantle imperialism, capitalism, white-supremacy, patriarchy and the state structures...

How we’ll spend the funds!

Developing and delivering training, police monitoring and strategies for the abolition of police.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Yes I KNOW the footballers support of BLM is NOT the political BLM organisation but the simple fact is that they rushed to support BLM (like thousands, maybe millions of others ($4.3m in the USA [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ) and only later realised their mistake.

For whatever reason they dug themselves in rather than move away and do something like most (nearly all?) other sports and quite frankly there's loads of people who don't understand the difference between the two BLM 'camps' - particularly the associated taking of the knee - and yes I know the was started by Kaepernick separately - but many people still fail to see the difference.

I just think it is so simple and easy to adopt something like Alonso is doing (or similar) and instantly put an end to the booing!

I can't see why they simply don't???

Let's be honest, they aren't achieving anything by still doing it other to draw the booing - are they?

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Well, a bit late to the party, but welcome boys and girls. Very Happy

Black Lives Matter UK (BLMUK) is a coalition of black activists and organisers across the UK. We’ve been organising since 2016 for justice in our communities.

We’re guided by a commitment to dismantle imperialism, capitalism, white-supremacy, patriarchy and the state structures...

How we’ll spend the funds!

Developing and delivering training, police monitoring and strategies for the abolition of police.

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Should professional players who have a history of knee injuries be expected to take the knee?

Last edited by Cajunboy on Tue Sep 21 2021, 16:38; edited 1 time in total

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Like Boncey I never stand for the National Anthem.

I always get a warm glow for being a rebel.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Cajunboy wrote:Like Boncey I never stand for the National Anthem.

I always get a warm glow for being a rebel.
I'd stand for this, if I could stop laughing.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Nice to see Marcos being described as "Former Wanderers STAR". I remember saying how good he was on here and certain parties constantly slagging him off e.g.

N wrote:Ha ha, class is a strong word for a player that was pretty shit for the majority of his BWFC career. He seemed to get better once he'd run someone over though.

But at the end of the day he was too slow to ever make it big, hence why he's bench-warming in Italy.
S wrote:Fucking shite he was, good riddance.
B wrote:I hope his career nosedives the greedy shit
Another B wrote:He's shit anyway. Fuck him.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The N above wasn't me was it? If you're stirring Sluffy at least do it properly.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:The N above wasn't me was it? If you're stirring Sluffy at least do it properly.
Haha. The N knows who she is.
And no, the S isn't Sluffy.

And none of 'em could spot talent if it sat on their face Smile

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:
Norpig wrote:The N above wasn't me was it? If you're stirring Sluffy at least do it properly.

And I suppose you can?

Like Manny Onariase who you consistently trumpeted perhaps?

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:

How could i forget our beloved Nat  Very Happy

For what it's worth i did think he was a decent player but i am surprised he's done so well for Chelsea. He's a good wing back but not great at playing full back in my opinion.

Ye can’t believe he’s still starting games for Chelsea, especially as they have Chilwell now. He’s done well for himself.

Post a link to the thread you’ve taken that from Lust.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He was poor for us, way too slow and was regularly destroyed by opposition wingers.

When you're bottom of the league (as we often were) it's more about defending, when you're playing for the European champions it's more about what you bring to the table as an attacking force.

Put him in the Norwich back 4 and see what happens.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

And I suppose you can?

Like Manny Onariase who you consistently trumpeted perhaps?

So it's pretty obvious you've never seen him play. Our CBs are OK but as a free agent on bugger all wages he's perfect for L1 and L2 and we should have signed him. He's young, powerful, very quick, is a ball player, defends well and chips in with a few goals. Currently he's trying to keep Scunthorpe from getting relegated almost single handedly by all accounts - playing alongside George Taft in a back 3 as it happens.

Here's some footage...we could certainly have used skills like this alongside Santos

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Hahaha!

You do make me laugh.

If he's so good, why is he still at Scunthorpe???

And as for YouTube clips, well Daniel Braaten looked a world beater on there...

...looked liked all the world had all thoroughly beaten him when he played for us though!!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum