Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

OFFICIAL - Dion Charles signs three and a half year deal

+4
Norpig
Natasha Whittam
wanderlust
BoltonTillIDie
8 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderers are delighted to confirm the signing of Northern Ireland international Dion Charles on a three-and-a-half-year deal.

The Whites have paid an undisclosed six-figure fee to bring the striker to the University of Bolton Stadium from League One rivals Accrington Stanley.

Charles scored 20 times for Stanley last season as one of the most prolific marksmen in the division.

And the 26-year-old now gets the chance to add to his career tally with Wanderers as the club’s first cash signing since July, 2018.

Only four players scored more than Charles in League One last season, with his capture on the opening day of the January transfer window a major show of intent from Wanderers’ owners as they look to add to the quality at manager Ian Evatt’s disposal.

Evatt was keen to increase the firepower in his squad for the second half of the season and beyond and brings in a player with a proven track record and age on his side.

“Dion is a player I’ve been aware of for a long, long time,” said the Wanderers’ boss, who was a player at Blackpool when Charles was launching his career in the youth system at Bloomfield Road.

“He dropped into non-league but has proved and fought and got his way back into the system and into League One and scored a hatful of goals for Accrington last season.

“He was touted to have some really big money moves which, fortunately for us, didn’t come off.

“We have managed to get him over the line and bring him in as one of the first players we’ve paid money for in a long time, which is a huge statement of where this club is right now and credit must go to the board, investors and Sharon and everyone who has played a part in that.

“We are excited to have him on board. Dion is a finisher, has terrific pace, terrific movement and relentlessly runs in behind and works defenders.

“He’s a player that we’re really looking forward to working with and seeing what the future holds.”

After leaving Blackpool in 2014, Charles made the move to AFC Fylde to launch his first-team career at National League North level.

The Preston-born frontman was a regular goalscorer for Fylde to earn a move back into the Football League with Fleetwood Town two years later.

His game-time with the Cods was limited and after spells on loan at Halifax Town he returned to National League North with Southport when he was signed by legendary former Wanderers’ striker Kevin Davies in January, 2018.

In his only full season with the Sandgrounders, Charles scored 14 times in 41 league appearances to once again attract the attention of EFL clubs.

Stanley boss John Coleman pounced to take him to the Wham Stadium and after nine goals in his first season with the Reds – including one against Wanderers in November, 2019 – Charles took off in 2020/21 with 19 goals in 38 league appearances.

That form and finishing ability attracted the attention of Championship clubs but Wanderers have now won the chase to land the striker who scored his final Stanley goal in an EFL Cup tie against Rotherham in August.

Charles can’t be registered in time to make a debut at Rotherham this afternoon but arrives fresh and raring to go after not figuring for the Reds since September, having turned down the chance to extend his stay with Accrington beyond the end of the current campaign.

But he has played international football since, winning his sixth cap for Northern Ireland in a World Cup qualifier against Bulgaria in October.

And the goalscorer – who takes over the number 10 shirt – brings added pedigree to Evatt’s squad as the first of a number of anticipated new signings this month in Wanderers’ aim to keep building on last season’s promotion success and moving the club forward.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I hope this works out.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm slowly falling out of love with this club under the current management.

Another ridiculous signing. Not played all season with only one decent season behind him. He'll be the 2022 Marvin.

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Or he could continue his league 1 form from last season…

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

its only 300K we've paid for him so worth the risk in my opinion. Does this mean Doyle will go now?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Only £300k! That's a huge amount for this club. £300k would buy you virtually every striker in League 1 & 2, but we've plumped for a player who hasn't kicked a ball in months.

It's so Bolton.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:Only £300k! That's a huge amount for this club. £300k would buy you virtually every striker in League 1 & 2, but we've plumped for a player who hasn't kicked a ball in months.

It's so Bolton.
We had to try something as we desperately needed another striker. Doyle puts the effort in but doesn't look a goal threat

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:We had to try something as we desperately needed another striker. Doyle puts the effort in but doesn't look a goal threat

Agreed we need a striker, but after the brilliant signings of Kachunga & Bakayoko I don't hold out much hope.

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Happy New Year, Natasha - you're looking well! I'm hoping the signing works out, Doyle was proven at L2 and did the business and Dion is proven at L1...

Last edited by Keegan on Sat Jan 01 2022, 15:09; edited 1 time in total

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hopefully will get some game time tomorrow, see how he gets on!

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Apparently the twitter world is saying that Charles posted some things as a kid that he's probably regretting right now if true!

Be interesting to see if he plays tonight - or not!

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I saw one of the offending tweets - I think it was from 2012. All started with a a retweet of him saying Wiganers sound funny. So I think the Wigan fans delved a little deeper into what else he had tweeted and found this historic tweets. Bolton fans have done the same with Carlie Wyke and their Goalkeeper I believe.

The Club have released an official statement too:

Bolton Wanderers Chairman Sharon Brittan has issued the following statement regarding Dion Charles:

“I am aware that some tweets which Dion Charles posted several years ago contained discriminatory and deeply offensive words.

“Myself and Bolton Wanderers Football Club do not condone any forms of discrimination whatsoever and, quite simply, there is no place for it in football or society in general.

“What was said in those posts was completely unacceptable and I am pleased that Dion has taken full responsibility for his actions and unreservedly apologised for the hurt and embarrassment caused.

“Whilst not making any excuses for him, I have spoken with Dion and he has acknowledged that he has grown up considerably since he posted those comments and that he is not racist or homophobic.

“Through Bolton Wanderers in the Community, the Club seeks to be at the forefront of making our game inclusive for everybody and Dion fully supports this.

“My own faith is incredibly important to me and, amongst many other things, it has also taught me to offer forgiveness.

“I know that Dion will learn a very valuable lesson from this and the football club will offer any support he needs going forward.”

Manager Ian Evatt added: “I was very disappointed to hear about the tweets that Dion posted several years ago and I am pleased that he offered an immediate apology for the offence caused.

“I know that Dion wants to do his best whilst representing Bolton Wanderers and that means off the field as well as on it.

“He fully understands the magnitude of his actions and will do everything he can to support the Club in making football a game that welcomes everybody.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Some Bolton "fans" are incredibly stupid. This whole thing began with the stupid internet feud between Bolton and Wigan fans and could have resulted in us losing a brand new player before he even kicked a ball for us. Grow up, will they?

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Keegan wrote:Some Bolton "fans" are incredibly stupid. This whole thing began with the stupid internet feud between Bolton and Wigan fans and could have resulted in us losing a brand new player before he even kicked a ball for us. Grow up, will they?

Some people never grow up though do they?

We have people on Nuts that carry on internet feud's and grudges and they are grown men!

If they want to behave like they do then I just laugh at them.

Charles made a mistake and has now held his hand up and admitted he was wrong.  Most will forgive his mistake and all will move on with their life's.

There's one on here who rather lie and abuse than would ever dream of doing that...

...Anderson stole £164m
...Johnson control's the press
...the people should stop Brexit before the country is ruined
...posted he voted FOR Brexit but lies on here that he didn't...etc, etc, etc.

Rolling Eyes

No one can move on with their life if they can't face up to their past mistakes.

Fair play to Charles for doing so.

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Like I wrote in the BN earlier Sluffy, it’s a good job Twitter wasn’t around when I was 15!! Things were obviously different then and you quite rightly wouldn’t get away with the comments we used but if the Woke brigade can dredge up the Slave Traders, they can go back to childhood. In fact as you say, some of them never left that state? 🤔

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Dion Charles: FA Ruling
FA confirm sanctions against Wanderers' striker

The FA have confirmed the sanctions imposed against Wanderers’ forward Dion Charles following a breach of rules relating to historic tweets.

Charles has been warned as to his future conduct and ordered to attend a mandatory face-to-face education programme.

The 26-year-old – who was charged after joining Wanderers in January – admitted that the comments posted several years ago were contrary to FA rules E3.1 and E3.2.

The sanctions were imposed by an independent Regulatory Commission.

Charles previously apologised for his actions and in February attended an anti-discrimination event for local schoolchildren hosted by Bolton Wanderers in the Community and ant-racism charity Show Racism the Red Card.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Bolton Nuts

Admin

So what did he say

Imagine if everything you ever did that was stupid or wrong got recorded forever and used against you.

https://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Biggie wrote:So what did he say

Imagine if everything you ever did that was stupid or wrong got recorded forever and used against you.
It is according to the Church Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum