Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Wanderers' Iceland star Bodvarsson seeks Sunderland lift-off

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bolton Wanderers' Iceland star Bodvarsson seeks Sunderland lift-off 13419468

Jon Dadi Bodvarsson has promised to get the famous Thunderclap going at Wanderers if he grabs a goal against Sunderland on Saturday.

The Icelander has pledged to act as cheerleader after following in the footsteps of countrymen like Gudni Bergsson, Eidiur Gudjohnsen, Gretar Steinsson and Arnar Gunlaugsson in donning a Bolton shirt.

Now familiar with English football after five-and-a-half years spent playing for Wolves, Reading and Millwall in the Championship, Bodvarsson first came to prominence as part of the Iceland squad which humiliated Roy Hodgson’s Three Lions at Euro 2016.

It was at that tournament that the famous Viking celebration first caught the public’s imagination – and Bodvarsson hopes he will have excuse to revive it now he has landed at the UniBol.

“I can confirm if I score Saturday, that’s what I’ll do,” said the smiling striker, who signed an 18-month deal with Bolton only last week.

Bolton and Iceland have forged a footballing bond since the mid-90s when Bruce Rioch brought Bergsson to Burnden Park, and since then some of the country’s best players have prospered in these parts.

“No pressure there, then,” Bodvarsson said. “Hopefully I do something as good as them.

“As a kid when I was watching the Premier League in Iceland I saw Gudni Bergsson there, and I always stayed in touch with Bolton.

“For me, when I heard Bolton were interested in signing me, it was like I was like a kid again.

“Icelandic people are very proud to see some of their own, especially in England if they are playing there. “I remember all of them, Gudjohnsen, for example, he was the main one to watch for me when I was younger. He was my idol, so to follow in their footsteps is a dream come true. Hopefully I can do something as well as them.”

Bodvarsson sought some recommendations before he arrived in Bolton and has not been at all disappointed since he arrived in the town.

“I spoke to Gretar Steinsson first,” he said. “He is now working with the national team.

“When I heard about the interest from Bolton, I spoke to him and asked him questions. He was really excited about it. He had nothing but positive things to say about how nice the club is, especially with making players feel welcome straight away.

“That’s how it’s been so far, not just the fans but the whole environment at the training ground is very family-orientated. That obviously played a massive part.

“Gudni also spoke to me after the game the other day, saying how happy he was for me. Not just signing for Bolton, but being back out there properly because I hadn’t been playing for a while at Millwall.”

Icelandic players have regularly made a successful transition to English football down the years – and Bodvarsson has already amassed 181 games since switching from Kaiserslautern to Wolves in the aftermath of Euro 2016.

“This league is very physical and hard-working. I think it’s something we have always grown up with in Iceland,” he said.

“Conditions are quite tough. I remember when I was a kid, I was training on gravel pitches. Maybe it’s the mentality or something in us – never giving up, working hard, being honest.

“That always gets you really far in football. And obviously if you can add some quality onto that as well, it’s always helpful.

“I’ve always been quite hard-working. I try to do the best I can. No matter if I’m having a bad game or a good game, I try to at least have the effort there.”

Already impressed by the Bolton support after a 20-minute cameo in front of 1,600 travelling fans at Shrewsbury last weekend, Bodvarsson cannot wait to see 20,000 turn up against Sunderland on Saturday.

“I spoke to my family after the (Shrewsbury) game,” he said. “No disrespect to Millwall but coming here, you feel so welcomed.

“Coming on, it was like ‘wow’. It gives you extra boost and you want to do well for them because they’re cheering you on. I was really, really happy after the game. Hopefully, I can give them something back.

“I can’t wait for Sunderland. It will be a huge game for us. They are a big team. Hopefully we’ll play well and get the win. It will be a good test and I think everyone is excited for it.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum