Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wanderers begin contract talks with captain Santos

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderers begin contract talks with captain Santos 13492455

Wanderers have opened talks with Ricardo Santos about a new deal at the UniBol.

The club skipper currently has a contract which runs until summer 2023 but Ian Evatt has confirmed that the club are looking to tie him down for longer.

Santos, player of the year in 2020/21, took on the captain’s armband this season after the departure of Antoni Sarcevic to Stockport County.

The centre-half has been a consistent presence at the heart of Evatt’s defence during his 19 months in charge and has attracted some interest from clubs in the Championship, leading to the club taking proactive measures.

“It is a conversation we’re having behind the scenes and we are well aware of the position we are in with Rico,” said the Bolton boss at his Thursday press conference.

Evatt believes Santos and vice-captain Gethin Jones – both mainstays of Evatt’s reign as manager – have formed an effective leadership team in the dressing room over the last few months.

“I think they’re stepping into the roles really well,” he said. “I’m really pleased with the dynamic of the group at the minute. And that hasn’t always been the case.

“I am pleased with the way they are policing themselves and holding each other accountable in the right manner.

“Without me even saying anything at half-time on Tuesday, things were being said that I haven’t noticed before – holding each other accountable, being annoyed with how we have started games.

“That was probably the most pleasing thing with Tuesday – we saw the players’ reaction before we even had chance to speak. Before it’s been myself, Pete (Atherton), Sam (Hird) and Matt Gilks having to drive that and drive standards. Now they’re driving themselves which can only bode well for us moving forwards.”

Santos has, by his own admission, had to settle into the role of club captain.

And though Evatt accepts he does not have the demonstrative style of previous owners of the skipper’s job, he believes the defender commands respect from the squad.

“There isn’t a right or wrong way to be a leader,” he said. “The most important thing about leadership is that people around you respect you and they listen and want to learn.

“When Rico speaks, people listen. It’s not his style to scream and shout and lead with fear. It’s more important that he leads with the way he plays - and he’s exceptional player, there’s no doubt about that – and by being a good person fundamentally.

“When he’s giving people advice, it is exactly that. The only difference between criticism and feedback is how you listen and interpret it.

“For me, as long as you’re always listening the right way, it’s always feedback.

“A lot of younger players nowadays - when you’re trying to coach them or make a point - because of the way we’re educating children at the moment, a lot of them hear it as criticism when really we’re just trying to help them and it’s feedback.

“It’s about them understanding that and trusting that all we want is the best for them. We don’t want to criticise – it’s about us being better as individuals and as a team.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum