Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Four key takeaways from Wanderers' 1-0 defeat against Plymouth

2 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Wanderers' unbeaten run at the UniBol came to an end following a narrow 1-0 defeat against Plymouth.

Macaulay Gillesphey got the decisive goal, heading home at the far post on the stroke of half time.

Here are four key takeaways from the game.

Missed chances

Despite creating some good opportunities in the second half, the Whites were unable to find an equaliser.

First, Dion Charles was denied by a fine stop by Michael Cooper from close range after some good work by MJ Williams.

Elias Kachunga then hit the post after getting on the end of Dapo Afolayan’s cross moments after coming off the bench.

It’s fair to say Ian Evatt’s men did enough to get something from the game but it was ultimately one of those days in front of goal.

Play-off hopes dented

Wanderers remain 11th in the League One table but are now 10 points behind the top six with eight games to go.

While it is still mathematically possible for the Whites to finish in the play-off places, it would take a remarkable effort from here.

But most Bolton fans would have probably taken a top 10 finish at the start of the season, and Evatt’s men have certainly showed what they are capable of since January.

If they do fall short this season, Wanderers will be in a strong position to push on next term once their new signings have had a full pre-season under their belts.

Fossey limps off

The Whites were forced to finish the game with 10 men after Marlon Fossey limped off with an injury.

Fossey has become an integral part of Evatt’s squad since joining on loan from Fulham, having lots of success as a wing-back.

Wanderers will be hoping it’s nothing serious but may have to switch back to a back four if the American-born defender is ruled out.

Moreover, Fossey has already managed five assists since arriving at the UniBol and his quality would certainly be a big miss.

Bad time to concede

Wanderers will be disappointed to have conceded from a set-piece, especially on the stroke of half time.

Gillesphey managed to find space at the far post and plant a header past James Trafford from Jordan Houghton’s corner.

The Bolton goalkeeper managed to get a hand to it but there wasn't much he could do from close range.

There wasn’t much between the sides in the first half but the goal allowed the visitors to sit back and frustrate the Whites after the break.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

What I took from the game is that we aren’t good enough, however much our new players settle in. Neither Johnson, nor Aimson are big enough, nor strong enough in either box I’m afraid and both need to be replaced. Same goes for Bakajoko and Kachunga, neither of who are good enough and should be replaced by one really good striker, possibly Stockton if Morecambe go down as looks likely. Other than that we could get by but I’d still look at a good defensive midfielder either to replace or rotate with MJ as I don’t think Tutte is anywhere near good enough. It will be interesting to see what Evatt does in the summer but if he sticks with those I’ve named I can’t see anything better than we’ve had this year as the weaknesses are glaring?

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum