Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

John on switching to wing-back, thriving under Evatt and aims for next season

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

John on switching to wing-back, thriving under Evatt and aims for next season 13147819

Declan John reckons he has thrived since switching to a wing-back role at Wanderers and admits he relishes playing under Ian Evatt.

John has made the most of his opportunities to get forward since the Whites’ switched to a back three several months ago and isn’t afraid to go for goal when a chance arises.

The Welshman has managed three goals and six assists in the league so far this season and is pleased with his contributions to the team on a personal note.

“Changing to the wing-back role has been really good for me because I like to attack, get forward, create chances and score goals if I can,” he explained.

“I think I’ve got double figures (for goals and assists) for the season, which was my aim at the start so I’m really happy about that.

“It gave me that licence to get forward and be higher up the pitch receiving the ball.

“I have done that with other clubs but I’d say the gaffer here is the best I’ve worked with and it’s brought the best out of me.

“Marlon (Fossey) was superb when he came in. All the boys and myself were gutted when he got injured. Hopefully, we can try and get him back next season if we can.”

But it hasn’t all been positive for John, who has had his fair share of injury frustrations since the start of the campaign.

The 26-year-old admits he had a “dip in form” at one stage but now feels he is back to his best as Wanderers aim to finish the season strongly.

He added: “Going into the start of the season I think I had a little bit of a dip in form. I had quite a few things going on off the pitch that were tough to deal with and I found it difficult.

“There were bigger things going on than football but once I overcame that, I was getting back to playing games and my form picked up after Christmas and it’s been like that ever since, I think.”

Wanderers have been on a strong run since the January transfer window, having brought in the likes of Dion Charles, Jon Dadi Bodvarsson and Aaron Morley among others.

Evatt’s men are now unbeaten in their last six matches, having won back-to-back games against Doncaster and Accrington.

John feels there are lots of promising signs from their performances of late and is optimistic they can carry momentum into next season as they aim to continue climbing up the divisions.

“At the turn of the year we brought in that extra bit of class and we had more pace in the team and more power with Baka (Amadou Bakayoko) playing more and Jon coming in up front,” said the Welshman.

“I think with the signings we brought in, we’ve got a benchmark to kick on for next season.

“We’ve got a good foundation there and I think we’ve got a good squad moving forward.”

John arrived at the UniBol back in January 2021, initially on a loan deal from Swansea before making the move permanent the following summer.

The Welshman was playing in the Premier League at 18 but ended up being frozen out at the Liberty Stadium.

He admits joining the Whites an important move on a personal level and is delighted with the progress they have made over the past 16 months.

“Coming in last January I really needed that,” John added. “I was playing under-23s football at the time (at Swansea) so it was just good to be back in a first-team picture.

“Getting promoted was brilliant, and the gaffer and the players want to push on again next season and hopefully get promoted again if we can.

“Over the last few years the team has really picked up. We’ve got some top quality players in that squad.

“With the younger players we’ve got coming through, it’s only going to be good for the future.”

The wing-back has been capped seven times by Wales, having made his international debut in a World Cup qualifier against North Macedonia back in October 2013.

However, he hasn’t represented his country since coming off the bench in a 1-0 victory against Trinidad and Tobago three years ago.

“My last cap was a few years ago now so I’ll have to keep working hard and see what happens,” said the wing-back.

“I’ll always be supporting them and I have some mates in the camp. You never know, all you can do is keep your head down, keep working hard and focus on the task in hand.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum