Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

'There is only one way we are going' - Johnston aiming high after award win

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

'There is only one way we are going' - Johnston aiming high after award win 13735076

Wanderers defender George Johnston is setting his sights high after winning the Young Player of the Year Award.

The 23-year-old has been a regular starter for the Whites since joining from Dutch club Feyenoord last summer, making 48 appearances and scoring twice.

In recent months, Johnston has been one of the players who has benefitted most from Ian Evatt’s decision to switch to a back three.

“It has been a really good first season, one that I’ve thoroughly enjoyed,” said the defender.

“Lots of ups and downs but obviously at the end of the day, I think the positives outweighed the negatives and just really enjoyed it.

“I didn't really know how this season was going to pan out at the start. Getting promoted last season, it’s difficult to try and get into a team.

“But I thought I started this season well and just kicked on from there and played a lot of games now.”

Wanderers were one of the form teams in League One during the second half of the campaign and Johnston is optimistic they can carry their momentum into next term.

He added: “From January and how we have kicked on since then, there is only one way we are going really and that is upwards.

“Our aim was to finish as strong as possible when we learnt we couldn’t reach the play-offs and continue that into next season hopefully.”

Meanwhile, Amadou Bakayoko was also awarded for his community efforts since joining from Coventry last summer.

The forward has had a big impact both on and off the pitch, getting involved with the ‘Fit Trotters’ programme.

Bakayoko feels the community aspect is an important part of football and says fans can give the players an extra boost.

“I really appreciate this type of award,” he said. “Having the community around and coming from another city, fitting in and also building my confidence up.

“Living locally, having a good feel around the community is always important. And it helps on the pitch as well, it definitely helps.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum