Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Too much moaning about racism!

+12
Lofty_Love
Sluffy
wanderlust
doffcocker
bwfc71
aaron_bwfc
Dunkels King
Bernard Dennis Park
Hipster_Nebula
Natasha Whittam
Reebok_Rebel
Bolton Nuts
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

The thing that I don't like is that if someone said something like this -

You - fat / ginger / lanky streak of piss, bald, foul smelling, sheep shagging, syphilitic, black, mother fucker, cunt, wanker, whore, retard, mong, bastard, etc,

...then the only word deemed legally offensive would be 'black'.

I think most people irrespective of their colour or religion would agree that that word is probably the least offensive on that list of - let's face of - every day words by (unfortunately) a vast amount of people in this country.

I'm not trying to say racism is wrong in any way, just that the balanced is out.

Either it is an offence to discriminate against ANYBODY, or it's not - I think it is wrong to almost 'pick and choose' what 'category' it is ok to 'abuse' and which (by law) it is not.

It is a problem of society and ridiculous actions by modern day Neanderthal's such as Terry and Suarez should not be made into headline news whilst society itself is riddled with prejudice and abuse.

I find it ironic that the very football fans who are indignant at the behaviours of Terry and others are amongst the first to abuse the opposition players, their manager and fans, the match officials, the stewards, the police, etc, etc.

We get what we deserve I suppose.

I find this whole debate pretty boring now, (I don't mean this thread I mean the media frenzy and constant accusations).

Like it or not people get more offended when race is brought into play, some of you may not but many do. It's not up to others to decide what's offensive and what isn't, it's entirely subjective. What one person may take offence to another may consider banter.

Using somebodies race in an attack on them (in the same way you'd call someone a fat prick for instance) has never been acceptable in my experience at school, football, college, uni, work etc. If someone had decided to call someone a 'black twat' as opposed to a 'fat twat' the punishment would be far more severe every time, that's something I've always understood and thought was just common sense to be honest surely everyone agrees about that? We know that using somebodies race is far more offensive, so why bother??

It doesn't really matter why people find the word 'black' more offensive than 'ginger', when it's easier and more amicable to just stop these idiots saying it, people find it offensive so accept that and move on.

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Sluffy wrote:The thing that I don't like is that if someone said something like this -

You - fat / ginger / lanky streak of piss, bald, foul smelling, sheep shagging, syphilitic, black, mother fucker, cunt, wanker, whore, retard, mong, bastard, etc,

...then the only word deemed legally offensive would be 'black'.

Comparing racist abuse to the rest of the words in that list is ridiculous.

-People don't make large organised gangs to actively go out and attack 'lanky' people.

-People don't believe that 'bald' people are less worthy to basic human rights.

-People wern't getting lynched up to only 50 years ago because they were 'ginger'.

And if you called an actually disabled person a 'retard' or 'mong' then you could get in a lot of trouble.

The point is black people can't chose the colour of their skin but people can chose to be fat, smelly or whoreish. Racism isn't only name calling in the way gingers get it, it can lead to real violence and hatred.

Their isn't really any argument against true racism, im not talking about people like this:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

who actually mean no harm, but crowds shouting racist abuse at a footballer, even if they are on a lot of money (as if that somehow makes a difference) isn't ok.

Might as well just say: 'jeez im getting bored of all this Jimmy Savile crap, I wish they would stop moaning'

A big fuss has to be made otherwise nothing ever changes.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

You miss my point completely mate.

People discriminate, they always have, they always will.

It's a tribal thing I guess, you are brought up to be like everyone else is around you and so anyone that doesn't fit that 'norm' is seen as something as an outcast and treated differently than the rest.

My point of view is that all forms of discrimination are wrong, not just selected ones protected in law.

Society sets what the norms are - we live in a 'man's' world - women are not even allowed an education in some cultures, are made to cover themselves (if they want to or not) and even shot in the head at 14 years old if they speak out.

We live in a homophobic world - can you name even one gay footballer in this country - you can't because of the fear to themselves and their careers if gay players did. You can be put to death for simply being gay in other countries.

Society's norms can and do change with time. Jews may not have been well liked throughout history but a large portion of German society accepted the wide spread discrimination and deportation of them out of their communities, similarly many did not raise a hand when 'ethnic cleansing' took place in and around Croatia less than 20 years ago.

I'm not totally deluded and I know that life isn't fair and will carry on being unfair but I fail to see how certain forms of discrimination are now taboo whilst others are still totally acceptable. You can be arrested for calling a black player but you can spend all afternoon calling the referee whatever names you like and half the ground will probably be joining in with the abuse to him too. How is that right, what fairness and equality is there, there?

At the end of the day aren't they both men and equal of respect in their own right not just because one is black and one simply wears black?

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Yes its a tribal thing and it will never stop .
Drugs is bad, but it will never stop.
Whinging about racism well i reckon the way its going its the one thing they might bring the death penalty back for :cop:

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Lofty_Love wrote:People wern't getting lynched up to only 50 years ago because they were 'ginger'.

I can think of a ginger who came close to this fate at the Reebok just a few years ago.

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

I'm still waiting on the "Too much racism!" thread.monkey

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I've never understood this idea that name-calling is more acceptable when it's in relation to something that's within the victim's control (it is in some cases incorrect that a fat person can reasonably be expected to control their weight, but that's besides the point). People shouldn't have to conform to avoid verbal abuse.

Moreover, the way some people talk, anybody would think black skin was just the inferiority it's historically been believed to be. It isnt! If I was black and fat, I'd be more pissed off if somebody called me 'fat' than 'black'.

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Sluffy mentioned the cases of JT and Suarez.

I think most know what I think of the Suarez case - it is acceptable, what he said, in his own country and even over here in Holland (and most of mainland Europe), but not acceptable in USA, UK or Ireland - but everyone seems to forget one thing about the Suarez case is that Evra did retort by calling him a "Uruguyan ****" which was reported and no one picked up on. For me that is as bad, if not even worse than what Suarez said. And yet Evra was not even punished for what he said!!!!

For me even JT's case was much worse than what Suarez did because he was brought up in a country and indoctinated to know it was wrong to say what he did, but got a lesser sentence than Suarez, of the FA - why??? Isn't that a form a racial abuse?

I don't use the "N" word to friends, I only tend to use it when defending a non-British culture, to show that its not acceptable in the UK but it is elsewhere. Here in Holland they say it to each other and to non-coloured as well, as a term of endearment. Even I get called the "N' word every now and again!!!! And lets not forget that the "N" word is actual word for black in Spanish and in Dutch (although Dutch have 2 words, with zwart being the other).

But the number of times that someone is reporting verbal racial abuse, in football, is becoming a joke. It is like the "black" players want extra special treatment - yes there are cases of true abuse such as the monkey noises etc etc. But this latest case, involving probably the most inept referee, Clattenburg, just does seem to be sour grapes and could actually be a case of mis-hearing. It is understood he said 'Monkey" but did he say "Cheeky monkey" which is an actual phrase of meaning mischevious???? Or, as Clattenburg, is from the North East and possibly due to his accent that Mikel could be mis-interpreted as monkey??? If its the "cheeky monkey" then again its due to cultural differences and use of language!

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:
We live in a homophobic world - can you name even one gay footballer in this country?

Nani and Torres - I've shagged both of 'em.

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:
Sluffy wrote:
We live in a homophobic world - can you name even one gay footballer in this country?

:wtf2:

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

BoltonTillIDie wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
Sluffy wrote:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

For some people the word "irony" will only ever be used to describe the aftertaste of rusty nails.

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

wanderlust wrote:For some people the word "irony" will only ever be used to describe the aftertaste of rusty nails.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] not bad...

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum