Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Eoin Toal on his Bolton debut and 'kicking on' after injury delays

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Eoin Toal on his Bolton debut and 'kicking on' after injury delays 14816425

Eoin Toal is pleased to have finally got his Wanderers career up and running.

The Northern Irish defender had been Ian Evatt’s fourth signing of the summer when he moved from League of Ireland side Derry City in July – but was forced to wait for his debut because of a nagging ankle issue.

Toal had managed the problem during Derry’s qualification attempts in the Europa Conference League but had to press pause on his arrival at the University of Bolton Stadium to allow the injury time to heal.

He got a first start for the B Team last week at Blackpool and followed that up with an hour for Evatt’s side in the 4-1 victory against Crewe Alexandra in the Papa John’s Trophy.

Now comfortable in his new surroundings, Toal is looking forward to the future.

“It was great to get 60 minutes under my belt for the first team. I’d done 45 for the B Team and really enjoyed that too,” he said.

“I have had a wee injury. It hasn’t been ideal or the perfect start but I am feeling good now.

“The way this manager wants to play, it is enjoyable. It takes a bit to get used to, but I think I did okay so hopefully I can kick on now.

“I had played in a back three before, felt comfortable, but there are a lot of experienced players around me who have helped, so it has been great.”

Toal is one of six centre-backs at Evatt’s disposal, alongside Ricardo Santos, Gethin Jones, George Johnston, Jack Iredale and Will Aimson.

The 23-year-old says he has been welcomed into the squad and is relishing the opportunity to earn a regular starting spot.

“I have loved it so far,” he said. “Obviously the injury hasn’t made it easy at the start but outside of the pitch the lads have been great, the manager and all the staff have made me feel at home.

“I know there is a lot of competition for places all around the pitch at Bolton but, right now, I have been happy just to get some minutes in my legs because I haven’t really been playing much over the past month.”

Toal’s former club Derry are still chasing Shamrock Rovers for top spot in the League of Ireland, and with 20-plus appearances already this season the defender admits it has been an odd experience joining Wanderers at the very start of their League One campaign.

“It has been different,” he said. “Signing a month ago, having had a pre-season in January, then stopping again, that month out injured could do me the world of good in the end because there is a full season to come here and there are a lot of games coming up.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum