Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Anyone Recognise This Guy

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Anyone Recognise This Guy Empty Anyone Recognise This Guy Thu Nov 10 2022, 11:32

Hip Priest

Hip Priest
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Bumped into this elderly gent this morning at Avondale Health Centre and had a bit of a chat with him.

Anyone recognise him?

Anyone Recognise This Guy Img_1910

I'm pretty sure the likes of Bonce, W63 and Bob will know.

2Anyone Recognise This Guy Empty Re: Anyone Recognise This Guy Thu Nov 10 2022, 11:50

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Saw him score with a header from outside the box, although time may have dimmed my memory.

3Anyone Recognise This Guy Empty Re: Anyone Recognise This Guy Thu Nov 10 2022, 18:32

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

The greatest header of a ball i ever saw, the complete opposite of today, if we got a corner you always fancied this guy to get his head on it.

4Anyone Recognise This Guy Empty Re: Anyone Recognise This Guy Thu Nov 10 2022, 18:36

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Must surely be Tommy Lawton, a local lad but I don't think he ever played for us.....

5Anyone Recognise This Guy Empty Re: Anyone Recognise This Guy Thu Nov 10 2022, 19:13

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

okocha wrote:Must surely be Tommy Lawton, a local lad but I don't think he ever played for us.....
I think being dead puts Tommy out of the picture. Unless that clinic is remarkably efficient. Very Happy

Think black and white stripes.

6Anyone Recognise This Guy Empty Re: Anyone Recognise This Guy Thu Nov 10 2022, 20:30

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Oops....I was just going by the description of his heading ability and the photo.....hadn't read HP's story about bumping into the guy Embarassed

My dad always told me that Lawton was renowned for his bullet heading ability...

7Anyone Recognise This Guy Empty Re: Anyone Recognise This Guy Fri Nov 11 2022, 01:59

Hip Priest

Hip Priest
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

For those that were stumped it was Wyn Davies, a big Wanderers favourite (and my all time hero in those days). Big centre forward who was also a Welsh international.

I'm afraid I made a complete fool of myself, gushing all over him with stupid phrases like "I loved watching you leap like a salmon at the far post to head home those pinpoint crosses from Frannie Lee and Gordon Taylor" and " When I was at school you were my absolute hero, I used to practise hanging in the air and heading goals just like you did."   Embarassed

Both statements were entirely true but I didn't mention that at school I was shaped more like Roland from Grange Hill than the lithe and lanky Wyn.

TBH I didn't recognise him at first. He was waiting in the same queue as me when a bloke in a wheelchair rolled up beside him and said "Excuse me mate, I seem to know your face, did you used to paly football round here or something."
Yes says Wyn.
"Who for." says the bloke.
Bolton says Wyn.
"Yes but who for, was it in the local Sunday league"  
"No, actually I played for Bolton Wanderers and later on Newcastle United, Manchester United and also Manchester City."
Bloke's jaw drops to the floor in amazement.
"What's yer name then."   Smile

8Anyone Recognise This Guy Empty Re: Anyone Recognise This Guy Fri Nov 11 2022, 08:56

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Nice article and photos on Big Wyn's time at Newcastle here:
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/history/newcastle-uniteds-high-flying-number-22139585

I once played golf with him in a charity comp. at Hillside. An unassuming bloke who seemed to be pleased that he hadn't been forgotten and still had some celebrity status.

Speaking of which, I met George Thomason the other night. What a pleasant young man he is.
He seemed quite shocked when I told him that he was included on the list of famous people from Barrow along with Dave Myers, Georgia Stanway and Emlyn Hughes.

9Anyone Recognise This Guy Empty Re: Anyone Recognise This Guy Tue Nov 15 2022, 16:37

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I have his autograph and its a belter. Wyn Davies and Ron Davies two of the best headers of a ball in footy history.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum