Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ian Evatt: Bolton must 'find the solution' away from home

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ian Evatt: Bolton must 'find the solution' away from home 16170914

Ahead of Saturday’s trip to Fleetwood, Ian Evatt admits sometimes the gameplan goes “out the window” away from home.

Wanderers have struggled on the road at times – the most recent examples being the defeats at Cheltenham and Forest Green.

However, the Bolton boss has been encouraged by his side’s performances at Accrington and Cambridge.

Evatt challenged his players to “find the solution” when things aren’t quite going to plan on the pitch and says they still have room for improvement in that area.

He said: “We can look historically at teams who we are playing against, their set-ups and what they do against certain types of teams, and plan for that.

“But you might get there on a Saturday and the gameplan goes out the window. All of a sudden, they are high pressing or they are camping.

“Then you have to find the solution. ‘The gaffer has told us we need to do this’, and then there might not be space there.

“It is just giving them the right solutions for the right game so they know, ‘if they do that, we do this’. We are still a way down that, it is a work in progress. But we have found solutions.

“I think on tight pitches and tight grounds, it is not being more pragmatic so to speak. We are never going to be a direct team, but it is playing forwards with quality and gaining momentum and territory.”

Despite finishing with 10 men after Kyle Dempsey was sent off, Wanderers had chances to win at Cambridge.

Arguably the biggest opportunity fell to Gethin Jones but the defender was unable to head home from a dangerous corner.

Evatt added: “I think we did that really well (against Cambridge). I personally want us to be a lot better in possession than we were first half, but I did think the way we grew into the game – without the red card I do believe we would have gone on to win.

“I think we had all the momentum in that second half. We were starting to create chances, and for all the chances we are talking about our centre-forwards scoring, you will not get a better one than Gethin’s from that set-play.

“If that goes in, we are winning away from home with a set-play. That is how close it was, so we have to take things with a wry smile every now and again.

“As I said, just keep confident, keep believing. I do think we are on the right track. We will go on Saturday and do the very best we can.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum