Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

'I am still learning – it’s new to me' - Santos on captain's role with Wanderers

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

'I am still learning – it’s new to me' - Santos on captain's role with Wanderers 16197954

Big man Ricardo Santos believes he is growing into the captain’s job at Bolton Wanderers.

Just over a year after being handed the armband, the towering defender says he is now getting to grips with the added demands that have been placed upon him.

Santos has been a key part of Ian Evatt’s ‘leadership group’ since first arriving at the University of Bolton Stadium in the summer of 2020 but the 27-year-old admits it has taken time to adjust to some of the pressures which come with the role.

“The biggest thing I have learned since becoming captain is that people look at you more, much more than I had every expected,” he told The Bolton News.

“Around the building, I have to try and set the example. I have to support everyone.

“I am the same person I was before getting the job. I am a bubbly guy in the changing room, and I’d never try to be controlling or anything like that.

“But I am still learning – it’s new to me. Maybe if something is going wrong I could help more? There is a lot I have improved on and a lot I can still improve on, but I am enjoying my time as captain, and I am just honoured to be one at this club.”

One of the biggest responsibilities this season for Santos as captain has been to help keep a bigger squad engaged.

Whilst the former Peterborough United man has often tried to lead by example since Evatt made him skipper, he says this season has been more hands-on.

“Before I was still one of the main guys in the dressing room, not because of football, but because of my personality,” he said. “I just try to be supportive to everyone and I just try to make it enjoyable for everyone. Even players that are not playing, I try and have a little joke with them and talk to them after training, because it’s hard when you’re not getting a lot of game time. I have really tried to help everyone and do what I can.”

Santos came over to the UK from Portugal at the age of four and still has family overseas, which explains why he has had some divided loyalties whilst watching the World Cup in Qatar.

He is confident that a Portugal team boasting several Premier League stars which gained its first group victory against Ghana on Thursday can go all the way to the final.

“The country has a lot of good footballers, you look at the Wolves team and a lot of them are playing there, so it’s a good thing for Portugal and the Premier League,” he said.

“I think they have got a very good squad. Yeah, there are other excellent teams in this World Cup but I think they can surprise a few people. I think they will get pretty far, and hopefully they will win it.

“England are one of the other big teams who could do well. It is pretty open, to be honest.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum