Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

MATCH REACTION: Bolton 0-0 Plymouth

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1MATCH REACTION: Bolton 0-0 Plymouth Empty MATCH REACTION: Bolton 0-0 Plymouth Sat Jan 07 2023, 18:37

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

MATCH REACTION: Bolton 0-0 Plymouth 16333425

Ian Evatt was “proud” of Wanderers’ performance against Plymouth Argyle, yet still slightly unsatisfied.

The Bolton boss watched his team dominate the game against the table-topping Pilgrims but fail to convert one of a few presentable chances which came their way.

Michael Cooper tipped an Elias Kachunga shot on to the post and denied Jon Dadi Bodvarsson from point-blank range, while at the other end, the visitors nearly completed the ultimate smash-and-grab as Will Aimson hooked a Ben Waine header off the line.

Wanderers remain fifth, a point above Barnsley who now have two games in hand.

“Mixed emotions from that one,” said Evatt after the final whistle. “We are process-driven at this club and we believe that performances win you points. As performances go against a very good, well-coached side who are flying high, I think we completely controlled and dominated the game, creating most of the chances.

“The frustrating thing is that when we have sniffed blood again we didn’t get the goal we deserved.

“In these tight games and top-of-the-table clashes you don’t really get loads of chances, it is about moments. But today it was a bit different because we had four or five significant chances that we really should have taken.

“I think it was a wonderful advert for League One football and I don’t think 0-0 did it justice. It was an excellent game and we were the biggest contributors.

“I said to the players that I am proud of the way they played but we have to start killing these teams off. It felt like one that got away and it has felt like that a few times this season.”

Plymouth were left hanging on at the end and had captain Joe Edwards sent off for a second bookable offence in stoppage time.

The visitors’ time-wasting tactics infuriated the Bolton crowd but Evatt took their approach as a compliment.

“They had a lot of cramp didn’t they? It must be the way we work teams because I felt like there was a hell of a lot of it out there,” he said.

“That is the game and it speaks volumes about our team that they were delighted with a point.

“I can’t wish Steven any more luck than I do. I think he is a wonderful young coach and I think it is great seeing young coaches at the top of the league, especially doing it the way he is doing it.

“Both teams wanted to win and we’re fighting for every inch. It might have spilled over a bit towards the end but on the whole I thought it was a good game of football.”

The Wanderers boss even picked up a booking himself after protesting at one of referee Declan Bourne’s late stoppages.

“Honestly, I just wish people would use common sense,” he said. “To be honest, I thought the referee was excellent for 90 minutes, it was just in stoppage time that was the confusing bit.

“There was a clear foul on Kachunga, maybe two or three times, they break and could score. They lose the ball and we break with the overload and counter-attack then their guy goes down with his calf, then 30 seconds later is holding his head. Game then stops.

“The fourth official has to help the referee. He could see it as clearly as I could.

“Sometimes when you see things like that it spills over and I thought the yellow card was extremely harsh, given the circumstances, but we move on.”

Source

Last edited by karlypants on Sun Jan 08 2023, 09:47; edited 1 time in total

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum