Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dapo Afolayan could return against Pompey amid fresh wave of transfer rumours

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Dapo Afolayan could return against Pompey amid fresh wave of transfer rumours 16339321

Every transfer window that Dapo Afolayan has been a Bolton Wanderers player has seemingly brought a fresh round of whispers concerning the clubs who may be watching him – and this one is no different.

The reigning Player of the Year at the University of Bolton Stadium has had a challenging season to date, jostling for a place in Ian Evatt’s side and, more recently, coping with the first suspension of his professional career after a retrospective punishment from the Football Association for an elbow at Lincoln City.

Afolayan has already missed two big games for Bolton, and will sit out again on Saturday for Portsmouth’s visit in League One.

Tonight, with Papa Johns Trophy games exempt from that ban, he has the chance to steal the spotlight and help Wanderers into the semi-finals.

Contracted to the summer of 2024, the 25-year-old will be eligible to face Pompey and potentially take out some of the frustration felt by that surprise ban, announced on New Year’s Eve.

But, this being the transfer window, there may also be a layer of subtext if Afolayan returns to the squad. For a few weeks there has been talk in local football circles that Championship scouts are again circling, and even that Wanderers would be willing to sell last season’s top scorer to the right bidder.

That speculation was put to Ian Evatt when at his pre-match press conference, where he was asked if there had been any concrete interest in the former West Ham man.

“There are always rumours but there is nothing to speak of at the moment,” he told The Bolton News. “Once again, I am just the custodian here, and everything I do I deem to be for the benefit of this football club. That is really all I have to say on it.”

Afolayan’s season seemed to be just getting going in November and early December when his goals against Fleetwood, Barrow and Manchester United’s Under-21s took him to six in total.

Two frustrating draws against Derby County and Lincoln followed, the second of which was long since complete when news filtered through that the Bolton player was being accused of violent conduct during an incident with Imps midfielder Lasse Sorensen.

Afolayan denied the charge but less than 24 hours later was facing suspension and would not be involved against Barnsley a couple of days later.

“Obviously he was disappointed with what happened and the way it happened,” Evatt said. “I understand his reasoning for that.

“But we have to own it, there was evidence, the FA found him guilty on it and we have to respect their decision.

“Of course, there is frustration but there are no issues with Dapo whatsoever.”

Tonight’s game could also see the welcome return of club captain, Ricardo Santos, who spent Saturday morning training with the B Team to ensure he was in top condition to face Pompey, rather than sitting on the bench against Plymouth.

There has been plenty of discussion about when, or if the big centre-half would return to the line-up after his sudden hospitalisation in early December with a respiratory virus – but Evatt has been delighted to see his replacement, Will Aimson, seize his opportunity.

Along with Eoin Toal and George Johnston, Aimson has created a new and highly effective back three which since the moment it came together in the latter stages of the previous Papa Johns Trophy win against Manchester United’s kids, has now shipped just one goal in eight hours of football.

That form, shrugged Evatt, cannot be overlooked. And while Santos and vice captain Gethin Jones will be looking to reclaim their starting spot as quickly as possible, the Bolton boss is hardly about to complain for the situation which has now developed.

“There is no issue with Rico, he’s our captain, we love him and we think he is a wonderful football player but he isn’t deluded and he sees the performances the other players are putting in,” he explained.

“He understands that if he has to stay out of the team for a little while then he will, it is just the nature of football.

“Rico isn’t knocking my door down and saying ‘I should be playing because I’m captain’ – he just isn’t that type, not that character.

“The players are going really well but we know what can happen in football, we have seen over the last month that things can change in an instant. We will be prepared.

“You hear and see things all the time – Rico is captain, Gethin is vice-captain, he is going to change it, but who says? Football is football.

“I have always been ‘if you are playing well, the team is playing well and I don’t see deficiencies in what is happening then you stay in the team, simple as that.’ “And that will continue.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum