Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pitch concerns mount for Bolton as poor weather continues

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Pitch concerns mount for Bolton as poor weather continues 16343524

Wanderers are praying for an improvement in the weather to help salvage their deteriorating pitch for the rest of the season.

Plans are already in place for a full revamp of the playing surface in the summer, with the current semi-synthetic system reaching the end of its useable existence.

But extra-curricular events, from rugby league games to carol concerts, coupled with poor recent weather have made the normally outstanding surface decline faster than anyone expected.

Ian Evatt says it is a similar story at the training ground, where the heavy rainfall has also affected preparations.

Results have remained impressively consistent with just one defeat in the last 12, but with more rain expected before the weekend and another home game with Portsmouth, Evatt admits his ground-staff have their work cut out.

“It is a concern and I know we are doing all we can,” he said. “We have invested in some new lights which will stimulate some new growth but it is not easy to grow when we are getting the weather we are getting at the moment.

“Lostock is the same. It is kind of hindering the training and the detail we are getting into the players.

“We will have to find another way. There is no blame attached to anybody it is just the way it is, and for some reason the pitch just isn’t standing up to what is being thrown at it this season.”

Wanderers have conceded just a single goal since December 13, a total of nearly 10 hours of football.

James Trafford ensured that run continued with a late save from sub Recco Hackett on Tuesday night and Evatt is keen to share the praise collectively.

“I’m still thinking about that goal we conceded at Lincoln, peeved at how we conceded on a set play, but I am delighted for the players – it isn’t just the goalkeeper and the back three or five, it is very much a team effort,” he said.

“We defend from the front and press the ball very intensely all over the pitch, so it is great credit to everybody.

“To be honest it was a save Traff should have made – I don’t think it was a brilliant save – but his concentration levels are superb for a young man.

“I am really pleased for the entire team for that clean sheet because they are a difficult team to play against, ask you a lot of questions, and we stood up to it well.

“I think we can be loads better than we showed tonight but that is sometimes the nature of the beast when you make six changes, you lose a little bit of fluidity.

“But I am delighted we got the job done and I am happy to park it now for some important league fixtures coming up in the rest of January.”

Source

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wet pitch gets muddy when football is played on it.

More cutting edge journalism.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum