Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wembley chase can wait: Evatt wants full focus on Portsmouth clash

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wembley chase can wait: Evatt wants full focus on Portsmouth clash 16346871

Wanderers cannot allow a potential Wembley date distract them from matters in League One, says Ian Evatt.

Still handily placed in fifth, the Whites welcome Portsmouth back to the University of Bolton Stadium once again this Saturday looking to complete a unique double.

Evatt was able to make six changes on Tuesday night, resting players like Will Aimson and Kieran Lee completely, and using Conor Bradley, Aaron Morley and Kyle Dempsey sparingly.

The result leaves Wanderers just 90 minutes away from their first Wembley appearance in 12 years but Evatt is keen to avoid looking too far into the future.

“Firstly, I feel like the players are in good form and the players are in a good place,” he told The Bolton News. “We are one game away in that competition from that end goal, really, which will be great for everyone.

“But pick whatever cliché you want – we won’t be counting chickens or resting on laurels – we are focussed on the tough league matches coming up, after that we can make sure we win that next cup game, which takes us through to the destination.

“Right now it is all about preparing for Saturday and looking to earn three points.”

Evatt feels he has a better handle on how Pompey will play after Tuesday night’s game, which proved a tighter affair than predicted when Jon Dadi Bodvarsson gave Bolton a deserved first-half lead.

“I do think that will be Portsmouth again,” he said, looking ahead to Saturday’s game. “I know they have got a few injuries but most of their players were there and the style is the same. I was slightly surprised they went 4-2-3-1 and not 5-3-2 or 4-4-2 but we know what is coming.

“I know we weren’t at our fluid best but I am delighted we got the job done with getting some rest into some players too. Will was feeling particularly fatigued because he has come in having been injured and not playing a lot of football to suddenly a run of games over Christmas which was pretty intense.

“Conor (Bradley) has been a bit fatigued as well, so to get some rest into him was great even though he played 20-30 minutes in the end.

“I think we will see the benefits of that on Saturday.”

Wanderers started with Kieran Sadlier and Owen Beck in the wing-back positions, bringing Bradley and Randell Williams on with half an hour remaining.

Evatt explained: “Kieran is predominantly a forward player but we think we can get some good productivity from him down that right hand side. He put in some wonderful crosses in the first half that we very nearly got on the end of and, yeah, he did fine. Owen the same, some good moments.

“I thought we lost too many duels in those wide areas, too many 50-50s, but I was delighted with Randell when he came on, he gave us some real flashes of what he can bring to the table.

“That blistering speed, he is almost cruising at times, and scary to play against.”

Source

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Evans wrote:Conor (Bradley) has been a bit fatigued as well

Ha ha, he's 19 years old, what a load of manager twaddle.

I could run 10 marathons at the same time when I was 19, I'm sure Bradley can too.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum