Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

MATCH REACTION: Ian Evatt gives his verdict on 5-0 win against MK Dons

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

MATCH REACTION: Ian Evatt gives his verdict on 5-0 win against MK Dons 16457772

Ian Evatt refused to get carried away despite watching his side smash five goals for the second consecutive game.

Wanderers moved above Ipswich Town into third spot after a Valentine’s Day romp at the University of Bolton Stadium.

All five goals came from defenders – Ricardo Santos, Luke Mbete, Gethin Jones, Eoin Toal and Randell Williams – and gave the Whites their fifth successive victory.

Much like their previous triumph at Peterborough, Evatt insists his players have to keep their feet on the ground.

“On the face of it, it looks fantastic, of course, but it is only one result again,” he said. “We have still got loads of work, loads of improvement.

“You have to enjoy these moments but you are only ever one result away from things turning around, so we are not getting over-excited. I still think we can improve.

“The game was exactly as I thought it would be. They look like a Leeds team, they do create, they throw players forwards.

“Credit to them because not every team has come and attacked us the way they tried to tonight but when you do throw the game open, I think we are a dangerous team.

“It is pleasing for me that we looked such a threat from set plays because that has been our Kryptonite a little bit. I am pleased the whole back five got on the scoresheet, which is a first that I have ever seen.”

Wanderers oozed confidence at times, particularly in the first half, but Evatt could still cast a critical eye on their performance.

“The players are in a really good place but it is only one result,” he said.

“People are going to think I am dour, or whatever, but I don’t care. There are still improvements to be made. We didn’t need to throw the game open as much as we did in the first half, especially at 3-0. We needed to be a little bit smarter.

“It was the same for the first five minutes of the second half when they changed shape and then we figured things out.

“I am proud of the players, proud of what they are doing, but I am most proud at their attitude on the training ground and wanting to keep improving.”

Wanderers have not conceded a goal at the UniBol since December 2 – a run of more than 16 hours of solid football – and hit five goals in consecutive games for the first time in 28 years.

With his side excelling at both ends of the pitch, Evatt is looking for his players to keep their focus.

“They are equally important to me,” he said. “I keep saying the clean sheets are a team effort and James Trafford has made some good saves tonight but the way we are pressing as a team and as a unit, they are really buying into it.

“If you keep clean sheets it means you only have to score one goal.

“But on the flipside of that, when you push forward it is everyone’s responsibility. It is not just for the strikers to score goals, everyone has to chip in.

“Their keeper has made some brilliant saves as well – I was hoping Vic (Adeboyejo) could get off the mark and that Dion (Charles) could add to his tally, but it wasn’t to be.

“We are happy with those two big results but we know there are tough things to come, starting with a really challenging game this Saturday at Wycombe.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum