Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Iredale desperate for Wembley second chance after knee injury

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Iredale desperate for Wembley second chance after knee injury 16791932

Jack Iredale had to watch last month’s Wembley win against Plymouth from the sidelines, and the defender is determined to get on the pitch if Wanderers return to the famous venue in the play-offs.

Iredale has been out of action since January after having surgery on a knee injury suffered in the goalless draw against Derby.

The 27-year-old had been a regular starter for the Whites during the first half of the campaign, making the left wing-back spot his own.

Last month, Ian Evatt confirmed that the versatile defender was back training on grass after stepping up his recovery.

Speaking on the R2Kast Podcast, Iredale said: “Playing at Wembley for a professional footballer is something most players go through their career without getting the opportunity to do, and the club has an opportunity to play there for the second time in the same season.

“I missed out the first time through injury and I am getting kind of close to coming back now.

“I am desperate to be involved because you can’t miss out on Wembley twice in one season."

"Even if I am on one leg, I would be saying I’m fine just to get out there," he joked.

If Wanderers can overcome Barnsley at Oakwell on Friday night, they will only be 90 minutes away from a place in the Championship next season.

“There is such a jump in terms of clubs’ facilities and infrastructure, and the size of the clubs in the Championship compared to League One and where I’ve been in League Two,” the Australian added.

“You look at the top half of the Championship and a lot of those clubs are ‘Premier League teams’ with a lot of players who are probably on close to Premier League wages.

“It is such an exciting challenge to be a part of as a player and so many benefits would come with being involved in a Championship team – namely for me as I’m desperate to play for my country. Playing in that league would give me a good opportunity to earn a call-up.

"It is definitely exciting and a bit nerve-wracking as well. I have got that nervous energy for the play-offs.”

Source

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

It would certainly be a big boost to have a fit Iredale back in the squad as it would Bod but whether they’re fit enough for this season now is debatable. I think he’s a good defender but for me lacks the attacking ability of a Declan John or R Williams so I’m not sure wing back is his best position but maybe he can improve that over time. Obviously if we were in the Championship it would improve his international chances so let’s hope we get there for everyone’s sakes?

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum